At my house we have a job-jar. It’s a jar filled with jobs Sara feels need tending to on the Ingram Plantation. We’ve had this system for the past 20-years. I wake up most Saturday mornings and pull out a job. When it’s finished I pull out another. The job-jar has never been empty. It’s […]
Tag Archives | Davis Lake
Everybody is for progress, but no one wants to change. That mindset is just as true in New York City and Washington D.C., as it is in Chickasaw County. Things in this world don’t change unless someone gets out of their comfort zone and goes about the hard work of making a difference in the […]
HOUSTON – Repairs to the Davis Lake Bridge is the top work project for Chickasaw County this fall but the bids for the work have come in over budget. Chickasaw County Supervisors opened bids last week at their meeting at the Chickasaw County Courthouse in Houston but the low bid of $357,962.88 was $82,362.88 over […]
D AVIS LAKE – People become volunteer firefighters because they want to help, but a volunteer that becomes a victim in a water rescue is no help at all. Chickasaw County volunteer firefighters gathered at Davis Lake recently for a morning of classroom training and an afternoon on the water trying out rescue techniques. “Six […]
HOULKA – Gerald Young plowed mules as a boy. That’s why he loves tractors so much. “My daddy bought a tractor in 1964 and it changed my life,” said Young. “Tractors didn’t make farming fun, but they sure make it a lot easier.” Young was one of more than a dozen antique tractor enthusiasist who […]
Two big community events took place this weekend in Chickasaw County. Okolona hosted the Battle of Okolona on the 150th Anniversary of this historic Civil War engagement. The Houston Community Theatre hosted “Hello, Dolly,” the ninth production for this local acting troupe. Both events drew people to their respective communities and both events showed we […]
HOUSTON – Grabbing that leisure dollar is easy if the tourist are coming to town, but the secret is to make them want to come and then be ready to serve them when they get here. Michael Jones, of the Mississippi Development Authority tourism division, met with more than a dozen CDF members and local […]
DAVIS LAKE – It wasn’t all about catching fish, but it was all about having fun. The annual Kid’s Fishing Rodeo was held at Davis Lake Saturday morning with kids taking part in a casting contest, eating hotdogs and of course getting to fish. “I love catching fish,” said eight-year-old Maddox Clouse, who was fishing […]
HOUSTON – It’s time for kids of all ages to throw a line in the water and see what comes up. The annual Kid’s Fishing Rodeo is back and set for this Saturday at Davis Lake east of Houlka. The event is open to children ages 4-17 at no charge as an opportunity to try […]
By Kevin Tate Special to the Journal DAVIS LAKE — When Jeff Foster set the hook on his only strike of the day last Friday, he had no idea the biggest bass of his lifetime was at the other end of the line. “It felt like I’d hooked the bottom of the lake and pulled […]
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...