By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – The 2015 Hilltopper football season was a stellar year for the team and individual players and the Houston Touchdown Club, fans and parents honored those achievements at their annual banquet. “Every year and every team is different but this was a special bunch,” said Houston football coach […]
Tag Archives | Defense
By Gene Phelps Daily Journal GULFPORT – Houston’s Denver McQuary knows a little something about intercepting passes. The Daily Journal’s Defensive Player of the Year, who intercepted a state-record 33 during his four seasons with the Hilltoppers, got his 34th in Saturday’s 67th annual Bernard Blackwell North/South All-Star Football Game at Milner Stadium. McQuary’s […]
By Parrish Alford Daily Journal OXFORD – Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze said Monday he wasn’t sure what his star defensive tackle’s status would be for the Sugar Bowl. Robert Nkemdiche released a statement through the athletics media relations office on Tuesday and made it clear he hopes to play in what is expected to […]
Associated Press Here are Mississippi’s top high school football teams in each class as selected by a panel of Associated Press state sports writers. OVERALL School W-L Pts Prv 1. South Panola (16) (6-0) 160 1 2. Starkville (5-1) 141 2 3. Brandon (6-1) 122 3 4. Hattiesburg (6-1) 88 5 5. Oxford (4-2) 85 […]
STARKVILLE – Bulldog football starts in 59 days. The Mississippi State University team that claimed a spot at No. 1 last year will snap it on this fall to prove that ranking was not a fluke. But college football is a game of change and new coaches, new faces and new plays will make […]
By Brandon Speck Daily Journal HOOVER, Ala. – For Chris Jones, a bumpy recruiting road stabilized rather quickly once it ended in Starkville. Maybe the country’s hottest topic leading up to Mississippi State’s 2013 recruiting class, Jones emphatically put all the drama behind him as soon as the first collegiate ball of his career kicked […]
Something clicked for Chris Jones. It may have been his move from Nettleton to Houston but whatever it was, it earned him a nationalname. Houston’s senior defensive end is the Daily Journal’s 2012 Defensive Player of the Year. Jones is large (6-foot-7, 255 pounds). He was also largely unknown coming into the season. He went […]
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Support for Solar Car July 22, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- Okolona trustees approve summer programs July 29, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...