HOULKA – Trustees have begun work on rebuilding the Houlka Attendance Center that was destroyed by fire two weeks ago, and the clock is ticking. Chickasaw County School trustees have been told by their insurance company they have two years, from the Wednesday, July 30 date of the fire that burned their school, to rebuild […]
Tag Archives | fire
I enjoy visiting with you like this. In this day and age of immediate electronic media and 24-hour news it’s still neat to sit down at a keyboard and talk with the people who read the Chickasaw Journal. I’ve always felt radio yaks, television blares and the internet will carry you many places you don’t […]
HOULKA – The school bell rang sharply at 8 a.m. Wednesday and children filed into classrooms at Chickasaw County Schools exactly one week after fire destroyed classrooms for fifth and sixth graders. The blackened remains of the 1935 Houlka Attendance Center were fenced off to keep students out of the old school building that burned […]
HOUSTON – The helicopters landed, the fire trucks squirted water and kids learned something about safety. The week-long Annual Houston Fire Academy finished up Friday night with the traditional field exercises where kids got to man a fire hose, crawl through a smoke house and test their knowledge of fire safety. The event was held […]
HOULKA – “Everything is still on ‘go’” said Dr. Betsy Collums, Superintendent of Chickasaw County Schools. “At this point the first day of school will be Wednesday with teachers ready for students.” Collums said Chickasaw County Schools will open today, as scheduled even though a fire destroyed the Houlka Attendance Center on Wednesday afternoon. Firefighters […]
They say you can determine the measure of a person by watching how they handle adversity. In the South we are trained to smile and be polite when someone asks how we are. Any given Sunday you will find our churches filled with people undergoing some kind of burden, illness or tragedy and calmly […]
HOULKA – The historic Houlka Attendance Center was destroyed last week in one of the largest fires in Chickasaw County in recent history. Firefighters responded to a blaze that engulfed the 70-year-old building about 1:15 p.m. Wednesday, July 30 and the facility was a smoking hulk at 4:30 p.m. No one was injured in the […]
HOULKA – Trustees have begun work on rebuilding the Houlka Attendance Center that was destroyed by fire last week, and the clock is ticking. Chickasaw County School trustees have been told by their insurance company they have two years, from the Wednesday, July 30 date of the fire that burned their school, to rebuild a […]
Two people died in a house fire near West Point on Thursday night. The fire at 2090 Dr. Sears Road killed Alvin Tallie Sr., 54, and his wife Fatenia Tallie, 54, said Clay County Coroner Alvin Carter Jr. Another adult and a child also were in the house and escaped, Carter said. The child was […]
HOUSTON – A private plane crashed on landing and then caught fire at Houston Municipal Airport Wednesday morning with only minor injuries. A two-engine Beechcraft KingAir owned by Quality Iron of Houston was attempting to land when it was apparently hit by a gust of wind, lifted to one side and hit the runway. The […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – A man and a child were hurt in a one-vehicle accident that saw a car run off the road, flip and then catch fire. The Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department was called to County Road 406 in Trebloc last week with the driver airlifted to North Mississippi Medical Center and an 8-year-old male […]
HOUSTON – Firefighters pulled two people unconscious from a local business after they were knocked out by apparent carbon monoxide poisoning from a gasoline powered buffer. “In my 20 years of firefighting, I’ve never seen anything like this,” said Capt. Jonathan Blankenship, of the Houston Fire Department. “We have trained for this and recognized it […]
By JB Clark and Floyd Ingram Special to the Chickasaw Journal OKOLONA – A warehouse fire Monday night will put a small damper on production at one of United Furniture’s Okolona locations this week. Around 4 p.m. Monday, firefighters responded to the Warren Street location after an employee found what seemed to be a small […]
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Culinary arts teacher opens up new world for students July 24, 2016
- Walker takes second at Pros of Tomorrow July 24, 2016
- Scott, Hardin honored by ICC July 24, 2016
- Fire burns Thorn home Sunday July 25, 2016
- Eaton Automotive finishes season July 26, 2016
- Weston Reed Foundation to offer free physicals July 26, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...