JACKSON – Residents and passersby may see some smoke in the air beginning this month when the U.S. Forest Service starts its prescribed fire season to prevent wildfires and promote a healthy forest for plants and animals. Prescribed fire, also known as controlled burning, refers to the controlled use of fire by a team of […]
Tag Archives | management
OKOLONA – Preparing for any emergency is never an easy task and trying to prepare for an unexpected disaster pushes the envelope even further. But over 40 representatives of local and area entities gathered Feb. 4 to try to do just that. The Chickasaw County Emergency Management office organized a tabletop exercise, facilitated by Todd […]
Management of facilities used for rodeos and other equine events will be the focus of a Jan. 22 workshop at the Mississippi Horse Park in Starkville. The three-hour workshop will begin at 1 p.m. and is for individuals responsible for agricultural centers and other equine venues, as well as anyone who produces or hosts horse […]
Landowners, sportsmen, and professionals can learn techniques to manage Mississippi’s white-tailed deer population during four upcoming workshops. Mississippi Department of Wildlife, Fisheries and Parks with Mississippi State University’s (MSU) Extension Service and the College of Forest Resources will offer the two-day workshops in Starkville and Biloxi. The first set of workshops is July 12 and […]
HOUSTON – There are lots of potential disasters but only so many emergency preparedness dollars. The Chickasaw County Emergency Management Agency has joined with state and local emergency preparedness organizations to develop a regional hazard mitigation plan and they want local communities to help them set priorities. “There are only so many state and federal […]
HOUSTON – When you see the men in the yellow suits, it’s not normally a good day. But May 20 will be a good day for the Houston Fire Department and the Chickasaw County Emergency Management Agency to host a hazardous material drill on Harrington Street. “We wanted to inform the public ahead of time […]
- GWENDOLYN PEARSON: Tourism tax and internet service March 26, 2017
- EDITORIAL Severe Weather Awareness Week March 23, 2017
- Starkville man killed in shootout after fleeing officers March 27, 2017
- Old Waverly to host Women’s Amateur March 28, 2017
- Okolona excluded from Chickasaw, Houston merger March 28, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Getting ready March 29, 2017
- Houston, Okolona host banquets March 29, 2017
- Rally! Rally! Rally! March 29, 2017
- Wildcats blanked by Smithville March 29, 2017
- Next stop! Final Four in Dallas March 29, 2017
- Patricia Burgess Cossey: This is to address the Tourism Tax. I recently hea...
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...