By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Erika Cooksey is new to Chickasaw County but not new to the programs and resources that help a community grow strong families, healthy children and a higher quality of life. Cooksey is the new Chickasaw County Extension Service Family & Consumer Service agent, but is not […]
Tag Archives | MSU extension service
By Dennis Seid Daily Journal MOOREVILLE – Chris Hussey isn’t a row-crop farmer like his brother, Herman, which means he doesn’t plant corn, soybeans or cotton. However, he is like every other grower across Northeast Mississippi wondering when the wet weather will relent and give him much-needed time in his fields. Chris Hussey has Hussey […]
RAYMOND — For brides who want to shed a few pounds before their big day, nutrition experts recommend proper planning, not fad diets. “Trendy diets, such as low-carbohydrate diets, are popular and can produce quick results but aren’t the healthiest way to lose weight,” said Brent Fountain, associate professor of food science and nutrition with […]
HOUSTON – The winners of state and regional 4-H poultry programs can easily pull down a couple of hundred dollars at the sale – and that ain’t chicken feed for any teenager. Chickasaw County saw 266 chicks delivered to nine kids this summer with youngsters now embarked on the task of getting the best flock […]
HOUSTON – The world is a dangerous place and teaching kids how to spot a potential accident before it happens was the goal of the 12th Annual Ag Safety Day. The event saw fifth graders from Houston and Houlka school come to the Chickasaw County Coliseum and visit 10 stations teaching everything from fire […]
HOUSTON – They are learning to grow in the right direction. The MSU Extension Service has taken its horticulture class into the Chickasaw County Regional Correctional Facility to teach inmates the finer points of developing, managing and growing a landscaping business. “For the man who knows his stuff and will get out and work, […]
CHICKASAW COUNTY – During the holiday season, many tables are plentiful with food, family and fellowship but others in Chickasaw County can use extra help in providing meals. Several volunteer groups and non-profit agencies are sponsoring food drives throughout Novemember and December in an effort to assist the less fortunate with holiday cheer. Okolona food […]
HOUSTON – Residents at Floy Dyer Manor Extended Care in Houston will have a new piece of artwork to enjoy. A painting of an angel is now hanging in the entryway thanks to a partnership between John and Peggy Walden and Candace Stephenson. Stephenson created the artwork at the T.K. Martin Center for Technology at […]
HOUSTON – Most people have a vegetable garden each summer, but doing it on a commercial scale and making money at it takes special skills and a lot of sweat equity. Doil Moore and James Earnest tend to roughly 25-acres south of Houston and pull tomatoes, onions, peppers, okra, cucumbers, squash, beans, potatoes and peas […]
- Man jumps from Houston Airport tower January 19, 2017
- Houston considers summer street projects January 13, 2017
- Okolona man charged in Amory armed robbery January 17, 2017
- Houlka sweeps Rams to start division play January 18, 2017
- Chieftains roll Green Wave January 18, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Time for a change January 20, 2017
- HISD refines drug testing policy January 20, 2017
- ICC hosts Leadoff Banquet January 19, 2017
- Houlka mourns death of former mayor January 19, 2017
- Qualifying begins for city elections January 19, 2017
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...