By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Fourteen students stepped onto a big yellow school bus Wednesday afternoon, Oct. 7, for the first leg of a trip that had them chasing the Sun west to Australia to compete in the World Solar Car Challenge. The Houston Solar Car has won 14 national solar car […]
Tag Archives | Power
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Wednesday’s near-record snowfall began melting Thursday and Friday as warmer weather helped clear roads and allowed power crews to restore electricity across the region. Tupelo came within an inch of setting the all-time record for snow in a 24-hour period. The National Weather Service estimated Houston received 9-inches. The snow measured 8-inches deep […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal More than 4,000 homes in Chickasaw County were without power at one point yesterday and roughly 2,000 were without electricity Thursday, after a massive winter storm dumped 8-inches of snow on Houston. “Those today are just in our service area and we probably have the same amount without […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal Freezing rain was reported in some parts of Northeast Mississippi Monday creating slick roadways, but no major problems had developed. The University of Mississippi delayed opening until 10 a.m. Oxford Schools ran buses and opened two hours later than usual but intend to stay open all day. Lafayette County Schools […]
HOUSTON – The National Weather Service was called to survey damage from a Thursday night storm and determined a tornado apparently hit Northeast Chickasaw County. The storm swept through about 10 p.m. Thursday on County Road 135 west of Okolona. There were no National Weather Service alert or warning issued for this storm. “It uprooted a […]
A matter of priority Dear Editor, On Sunday morning, January 19, 2014, the main transformer for the electrical line between my house and my son’s house blew. We each tried contacting the after-hours telephone number for the Okolona City Electrical Department. We were unable to reach anyone. We then tried the Okolona Police Department […]
HOUSTON – Congressman Alan Nunnelee crawled inside the Houston Solar Car last week and took it for a spin around the parking lot. “Unbelieveable!” was all he could say when he crawled out a few minutes later. “I was at a groundbreaking this morning for a factory in Mantachie that is on the cutting edge […]
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Authorities seek suspects in two shootings July 25, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Dr. Darrick Whitfield: Don’t be a slacker! July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...