CHICKSAW COUNTY – A bill to consolidate Chickasaw County Schools in Houlka and Okolona schools was killed in committee in the Mississippi Legislature this month, but the idea, which popped up last year, is far from dead. Mississippi lawmakers were asked to consider administrative school consolidations in several counties this session. The bill affecting […]
Tag Archives | Russell
WOODLAND — Anna Loraine McCoy Pate, 85, died Wednesday, Feb. 26, 2014, at Church Street Personal Care Home in Ecru. She was born June 17, 1928, in Booneville to Chester Arthur McCoy and Florence Loraine Clark McCoy. She was retired from Franklin Corporation and was a member of Woodland Baptist Church. Services are Saturday, March […]
Jolly honored by Farm Bureau Special to the Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Sen. Russell Jolly of Houston is the Mississippi Farm Bureau Federation’s 2013 Friend of Agriculture for the Mississippi Senate. The presentation was made during the organization’s annual meeting in December. Sen. Jolly represents Dist. 8, consisting of Chickasaw, Calhoun, Grenada and […]
CALHOUN CITY – Mary Laura Pruett Williams, 85, died Tuesday, Sept. 17, 2013, at Trace Regional Hospital in Houston. She was born Nov. 1, 1927, in Slate Springs to Elmer Pruett and Evie Russell Pruett. She was a homemaker and a Baptist. Survivors include her husband, Arthur Curtis Williams of Calhoun City; one daughter, Jean […]
by Bobby Harrison NEMS Daily Journal JACKSON – Supervisors in about 35 rural counties across the state can now request the Mississippi Department of Public Safety to place a driver’s license examiner or a kiosk where people can renew their license in their county seat. The legislation requiring the Department of Public Safety to […]
Consider this predicament: For a Chickasaw County resident to get a license to drive on the state’s highways they have to drive out of the county to be tested and photographed to obtain that privilege. But a bill before the Mississippi Legislature may soon require the Mississippi Department of Public Safety to have a driver’s […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Capitol Correspondent JACKSON – State Sen. Russell Jolly, D-Houston, represents a sprawling district that includes all of Chickasaw, and portions of Grenada, Calhoun and southwest Lee counties. With the exception of the people who live in the Lee County portion of his district, all of Jolly’s constituents must cross county […]
By Jeff Amy The Associated Press JACKSON — State education officials could only take over a school district for three years under a bill moving forward in the Senate. The Senate Education Committee approved Senate Bill 2124, sponsored by Sen. Steve Hale, D-Senatobia. The bill goes to the Senate for more debate. Hale says that […]
- Sundancer crosses 2016 Solar Car Challenge finish line July 23, 2016
- Solar Team trekking north in Solar Challenge 2016 July 21, 2016
- Shearer-Richardson announces expansion July 25, 2016
- Cunningham earns ICC scholarship July 25, 2016
- ETHAN TURNER: A note to the fans July 26, 2016
- Houlka’s Tyreque Reed name Legion MVP July 28, 2016
- County, city seek road costs for three streets July 28, 2016
- ICC valedictorian, salutatorian scholars named. July 27, 2016
- Mississippi Showcase features local baseball talent July 27, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: Solar racers make us Houston proud July 27, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...