By Joe Rutherford Daily Journal Counties in extreme Northeast Mississippi can expect significant ice and sleet accumulations starting as early as 9 p.m. tonight and continuing until about 6 a.m. Thursday, the National Weather Service office in Memphis said late Tuesday afternoon. Forecaster John Moore III said the revised outlook for winter precipitation across most […]
Tag Archives | school closings
Special to the Journal Chickasaw County Schools in Houlka and Okolona will be closing early today. Parents are urged to pick up their children immediately. Parents and caregivers are also urged not to call the school as the lines are busy. Houston School are still in session and Houston streets are passable. As of […]
By W. Derek Russell Daily Journal TUPELO – “Treacherous travel conditions” were predicted for roads Tuesday in parts of Northeast Mississippi, according to the National Weather Service in Memphis. Marlene Mickelson, a meteorologist with the NWS, said that with Monday’s mixed precipitation, it makes for a big travel nightmare leading into today. “Overnight freezing from […]
Freezing temperatures and precipitation will be moving down over Oxford and Tupelo a little after midnight with a 100 percent chance of rain, according to the National Weather Service. The NWS expects less than a quarter inch of freezing rain and sleet accumulation, but has issued a winter weather advisory for Tishomingo, Prentiss, Pontotoc, Lee, […]
Houston School District decided to not hold classes on Tuesday about 8 p.m. Monday night. The decision was made by the Central Office after looking at local weather forecasts. Students will make up the snow day on President’s Day Feb. 17 which was initially scheduled as a staff development day without students in class. State […]
Houston posted a new record low of 10 degrees on Monday, Jan. 6 beating the old record of 12 degrees set in 1959, The community awoke Tuesday to single digit temperatures and the National Weather Service was collecting data to see if today’s temps also set a record. The NWS said the average high is […]
A cold front that sent freeze warnings all the way to the Mississippi Gulf Coast saw temperatures in Houston climb into the low 20s Monday with the chance of it plunging to 7-degrees tonight. The National Weather Service predicts temperatures will hit at least 10-degrees tonight with 15-mph winds out of the north-northwest sending the […]
- Man falls from Houston Airport tower January 19, 2017
- HISD refines drug testing policy January 20, 2017
- GLENN MOLLETTE: It’s 2017, get to work January 14, 2017
- 4-H Promotion Day is Thursday. January 18, 2017
- EDITORIAL: Who deserves your vote? January 19, 2017
- Area crappie gathering in big schools. January 21, 2017
- TONY COOK: Let’s pray for our schools January 21, 2017
- ICC Fall graduates named January 21, 2017
- Wilson stepping down at East Webster January 20, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Time for a change January 20, 2017
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...