HOUSTON – Teaching kids to read is a critical skill in school and teaching kids to read early helps kids excel in school. The Houston Carnegie Library is kicking off EARS (Educational Awareness Resource Service) this week, a new program aimed at under-privileged kids but open to all children entering kindergarten or who completed kindergarten […]
Tag Archives | Service
TUPELO – After days of on-again, off-again forecasts of snow and ice in Northeast Mississippi, the National Weather Service in Memphis on Wednesday afternoon canceled the region’s winter storm warning but extended a downgraded statement for several hours. Light snow was reported during daylight hours Wednesday in places as disparate as Oxford, Itawamba County and […]
As part of the annual Tree Planting Week event, the Chickasaw County Soil and Water Conservation Disrict will be giving away seedlings to the public Feb. 13. Persimmon, black walnut, redbud, river birch,cypress, sawtooth oak, white flowering dogwood and loblolly pine seedlings will be available at the Houston office on Lee Horn Drive beginning at […]
HOUSTON – The Girl Scout motto is “Be Prepared” and the slogan is “Do a good turn daily!” and both were practiced Thursday night at the Houston Fire Department. Girl Scouts from troops 20101, 20347, 23125 and 23131 fed local firefighters hamburgers with all the fixings, iced tea and dessert to show their appreciation […]
Special to the Chickasaw Journal The Chickasaw County School District is participating in the Summer Food Service Program. Meals will be provided to all children free of charge and are the same for all children regardless of race, national origin, sex, age or disability, and there will be no discrimination in the course of […]
HOUSTON – Farming is one of the most dangerous jobs in the country and 80 percent of all accidents occur in the home. With those two facts in mind, the Chickasaw County Extension Service hosted the 11th Annual Ag Safety Day last week at the Chickasaw County Coliseum with fifth graders from all county schools […]
- GLENN MOLLETTE: Holiday crisis, again? November 26, 2016
- Houlka leaning on veteran leadership November 30, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Shop local December 1, 2016
- Community gives thanks December 1, 2016
- HUES names Students of the Week December 1, 2016
- Hunter orange strictly enforced December 2, 2016
- Dr. Willis named AAN Fellow December 2, 2016
- Students chosen for Who’s Who at ICC December 2, 2016
- Christmas parades are next week December 2, 2016
- Okolona shines at Lighthouse Classic December 1, 2016
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...
- Bet Rob: I came into town over the weekend to ride part of ...
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...