CHICKASAW COUNTY – Nationally the number of teen pregnancies reported each year is falling but Mississippi and Chickasaw County are still above the national average in births to girls ages 15 to 19. The factors driving the drop in teen pregnancy on the national level are mixed and local professionals said Chickasaw County numbers also […]
Tag Archives | Teen
CHICKASAW COUNTY – Nationwide the number is coming down, but teen pregnancy is still a chronic problem in rural, Northeast Mississippi. The Chickasaw Journal will embark this week on a five part series of stories looking hard at the factors that influence teen pregnancy, how our community and schools are addressing the issue and talk […]
HOUSTON – A fire at 201 Talitha Street Saturday, Jan. 2 has led to the arrest of six juveniles on arson charges. Houston Police Chief Billy Voyles said police routinely respond with the Houston Fire Department to structure fires to help with traffic and security. “One of our officers was on the scene and […]
HOUSTON – A 15-year-old boy was airlifted from Chickasaw County with a bullet wound to the head following what is believed to be a hunting accident Thursday. Chickasaw County Sheriff’s Department Chief Deputy James Myers said the incident occurred about noon off of Enon Road in Eastern Chickasaw County after the youth were wrapping up […]
HOUSTON – The Houston Civic Center in Joe Brigance Park is a community building but apparently needs city oversight to help keep it nice and safe for all. Police Chief Billy Voyles voiced his concerns to Houston Alderman earlier this month about the type of events that have been hosted recently in the main room […]
National numbers show the teen birth rate dropping dramatically around the country, but not so in Chickasaw County. The Center for Disease Control and Prevention report released last week said the teen birth rate has dropped 30- to 40-percent in some parts of the country. Mississippi and Arkansas continue to lead the nation with a […]
FULTON – Scholarship recipients at Itawamba Community College for 2013 include Molly Kathleen May of Houston, ACT Regular Incentive, Special Achievement, Leadership; Mauricio Gracia of Vardaman, Leadership; and Desaray Hankins of Vardaman, Academic, Leadership. May will be a 2013 graduate of Houston High School, where her activities have included Topper Pride band, drum major, yearbook […]
- MDOT moves forward with Hwy. 15 work August 21, 2016
- EDITORIAL: Calling for help August 25, 2016
- Okolona offense tramples Nettleton August 25, 2016
- County fire ratings drop August 25, 2016
- MBN makes drug arrest August 25, 2016
- LOCAL GOVERNMENT MEETINGS August 27, 2016
- FOOTBALL SCORES: Week 2 August 27, 2016
- SONNY SCOTT: Migrants jump out of the melting pot August 27, 2016
- Work set for Tanglefoot pathway August 26, 2016
- FLOYD INGRAM: A quick look around town August 25, 2016
- Jim Garth Horn: Did I miss it or is there anywhere in the article ...
- Americasgone: They have a "no guns" sign on their door. If the...
- Americasgone: This has to be a joke. They have good employees an...
- Jessica Lacy: Leadershipprovides with the opportunity to lead. E...
- a: Cars with tags from 12 different counties can rout...