By Bobby Harrison Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The Okolona Municipal School District will not be merged with the Chickasaw County and Houston Municipal school districts under an agreement worked out by House and Senate leaders. The conference report was filed late Monday night to merge the Chickasaw and Houston districts, but […]
Tag Archives | Tollison
By Bobby Harrison Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The Mississippi House, by a 62-43 vote, sent back to the Senate on Tuesday legislation that would merge the three Chickasaw County school districts – Houston, Okolona and Chickasaw. Earlier this session the Senate passed a bill to merge Chickasaw and Houston, but to exclude […]
By Bobby Harrison Special to the Chickasaw Journal JACKSON – The Okolona School District will be merged with the Houston and Chickasaw County districts under legislation that passed the House Education Committee Tuesday morning. The bill passed the Senate earlier this session merging the Houston and Chickasaw districts, but leaving Okolona as a free-standing system. […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Efforts to consolidate school districts in Chickasaw County are continuing during the 2017 legislative session. On Thursday, the Senate passed legislation to merge the Chickasaw and Houston school districts with 16 senators in the 52-member chamber voting no. But legislation filed this year to merge the […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Efforts to make major revisions to the pivotal Mississippi Education Program, which provides the state’s share of the basic funding to operate local school districts, were unsuccessful during the rapidly ending 2016 session. Whether those efforts were unsuccessful because of a lack of will to make […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Chickasaw County school districts consolidation, which looked to be a certainty at one point during the 2016 legislative session, will be delayed until at least 2017. The House, by a 100-16 vote Wednesday, sent to Gov. Phil Bryant legislation to establish a 10-member Commission […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Sen. Russell Jolly, D-Houston, unsuccessfully offered a proposal to require each of the 82 counties in the state to have a single school district. Jolly offered his amendment as a way to voice objections to a Senate bill that merges the Okolona, Houston and Chickasaw County […]
By Bobby Harrison Daily Journal Jackson Bureau JACKSON – Educators from Okolona, Houston and Chickasaw County met with legislators Thursday to try to halt proposals designed to merge the three school districts. Hours before the education officials were meeting with House members, the Senate Education Committee was passing legislation to consolidate the three districts. Senate […]
PHEBA – Peggy Boyette Bigham, 80, passed away April 4, 2014, at North Mississippi Medical Center in West Point. She was born Jan. 9, 1934, in Mathiston, the daughter of William Clay and Mattie Ruth Tollison Boyette. She was a retired seamstress with Monte Glove, a retired school bus driver and a Baptist. She married […]
- Signs are illegal in rights-of-way April 17, 2017
- FLOYD INGRAM: Three big days in Spring April 20, 2017
- Three busted for possession of meth April 20, 2017
- Ag Safety Day April 21, 2017
- Man convicted in Okolona shooting April 21, 2017
- Dollar General Ribbon Cutting April 23, 2017
- Certified Nurse Assistance Class seeks applicants April 23, 2017
- WEDDING: Stone/Fisackerly April 23, 2017
- TEACHER OF THE WEEK! April 22, 2017
- GLENN MOLETTE: America and shooting back April 22, 2017
- Winford White: I totally disagree with your schools consolidation...
- Winford White: That is good News for Okolona. Or shall we say, it...
- Winford White: I strongly agree! if someone can afford to pay a T...
- Winford White: Keep up the good works Chickasaw County because th...
- Winford White: Winford White, CPC - Winford's Consulting : It is...