By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal CHICKASAW COUNTY – Voters made their final decision on who will lead Chickasaw County as sheriff, chancery clerk, county attorney and two supervisor post in the Nov. 3, general election. A total of 5,841 ballots or 48-percent of the county’s 12,035 registered voters were cast last week […]
Tag Archives | Voters
DANIEL GARDNER: Voters fear corrupt politicians It’s official: according to the 2015 Chapman University Survey of American Fears, more than half of us (58 percent) fear corruption of public officials more than any other fear. Perhaps this fear is driving voters to non-traditional candidates like those leading the polls in […]
By Staff Reports Deadlines to bring you today’s Chickasaw Journal newspaper did not allow us to wait for last night’s General Election results, but they can be obtained at our round-the-clock website, chickasawjournal.com. Voters headed to the poll yesterday to pick candidates for several county offices. Tuesday’s election finalized who will serve […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Voters head to the poll next week to pick their county and state leaders and also to vote on a constitutional amendment to fund public education. The polls open at 7 a.m. Tuesday Nov. 3, and close 12-hours later at 7 p.m. with voters needing […]
Dear Editor, In the 1960s, politicians in Jackson promoted the legalization of liquor and set up of the Alcohol Beverage Commission to voters on the pretext of funding public education. In the early 1990s, the same justification of legalizing gambling was generally used – fund public education. Did education receive those revenues? Later […]
Voter turnout Tuesday in Chickasaw County was modest for a county election. Roughly 46 percent went to the poll and cast a ballot. We are proud for that. But we do want to look around and try to find a reason why the majority of this community and county didn’t take the 10-minutes necessary to […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal HOUSTON – Voters head to the poll next week to pick their county and state leaders with 53 local candidates vying for 13 posts. The polls open at 7 a.m. Tuesday and close 12-hours later at 7 p.m. with voters needing to bring voting identification. Race results will be posted […]
By Floyd Ingram Chickasaw Journal Chickasaw County voters chose Kelly Luther as their next Circuit Court Judge and Hugh Pettit as their next Houston School Board Trustee in Tuesday’s November runoff election. Luther garnered 1,158 votes to Shirley C. Byers’ 760 ballots in Chickasaw County for the post of Circuit Court Judge District 3, Place […]
JACKSON – Friends of Mississippi public schools are working statewide to get signatures on petitions for a constitutional amendment to require the state to adequately fund kindergarten through Grade 12. The petition drive is organized by Better Schools, Better Jobs, a statewide group formed to promote the issue for the November 2015 ballot. Signature collectors […]
HOUSTON – With races for Mayor, Chief of Police and two aldermen up for grabs, there was a steady turnout at the polls for city elections Tuesday. Races saw eight candidates busy yesterday making last minute pleas for votes and handing out campaign cards at the Chickasaw Development Foundation community center, the city’s lone voting […]
- Habitat now Fuller Center February 17, 2017
- City candidates face March 3 deadline February 17, 2017
- Chickasaw man injured in Shannon wreck February 21, 2017
- One killed in wreck involving ambulance February 21, 2017
- Wildcats roll out of district February 22, 2017
- Teacher Academy February 24, 2017
- Gann named NFHS State Coach of Year February 24, 2017
- Vardaman hunter bags banded duck February 24, 2017
- Extension gives out 1,800 trees February 24, 2017
- Growing our future with AEST February 23, 2017
- Chris Johnson: Great article! I would note, though, that all Full...
- June Criddle Linley: I have no problems with making sure students are d...
- Mamabear: I knew this man. He was an extremely talented son...
- Jean Ulmer Gaskin: Chip, you and Rocky turned out to be wonderful men...
- jonathan makeley: Jim Hedges 2016 If you would like to join the Proh...