This week’s game: MSU (2-0) at Troy (1-1), Saturday, 6 p.m., ESPN3.com (Shawn Kenney and John Bunting)
As Troy prepares to host MSU, it looks at what UL-Monroe did to Arkansas last week and takes some inspiration from that. That was a top-10 team the Warhawks took down, and on the road no less. And here Troy gets to take on an SEC team, too, but one that isn’t ranked, plus it’s at home.
Of course, MSU might be better than Arkansas, which has fallen out of the AP poll. And we don’t really know how good Troy is compared to ULM. But hey, the Trojans will need every edge they can find. Where else might Troy have an edge?
Quarterback Corey Robinson can fling it around, and he completed 46 of 70 passes for 485 yards last week in a loss to UL-Lafayette. But he’s got to find holes in an MSU secondary that doesn’t really have holes. And he’ll be trying to avoid Denico Autry and the rest of the State defensive front. Troy would do well to start out with the run game and to establish a balance; Shawn Southward racked up 204 yards and three touchdowns two weeks ago at UAB.
Defensively, Troy hasn’t been great. It’s given up a lot of big plays and fell behind early to ULL last week, and Troy is allowing 424.0 yards per game. With the balance and versatility MSU’s offense has shown so far this season, it’ll be tough to slow down.
I’ll have more preview coverage in tomorrow’s GameDay section, so please pick up a copy.
Some links from the Troy side: K.D. Edenfield is progressing in his transition from quarterback to receiver. … Troy’s offense will try to stay away from Johnthan Banks. … With a new athletics director just hired, Troy fans need to show football all the love.
Here’s the rest of this weekend’s schedule (all games Saturday).
• UL-Monroe at Auburn, 11:21 a.m., SEC Network
• Presbyterian at Vanderbilt, 11:30 a.m., CSS
• Texas A&M at SMU, 2:30 p.m., Fox Sports Net
• Alabama at Arkansas, 2:30 p.m., CBS
• Florida at Tennessee, 5 p.m., ESPN
• UAB at South Carolina, 6 p.m., Fox Sports Net
• Arizona State at Missouri, 6 p.m., ESPN2
• Western Kentucky at Kentucky, 6 p.m., ESPNU
• Florida Atlantic at Georgia, 6:30 p.m., CSS
• Idaho at LSU, 7 p.m., PPV
• Texas at Ole Miss, 8:15 p.m., ESPN