Egg Bowl: No. 25 MSU (8-3, 4-3 SEC) at Ole Miss (5-6, 2-5), Saturday, 6 p.m., ESPNU (Clay Matvick, Matt Stinchcomb and Allison Williams)
Some of LaDarius Perkins‘ finest work has come against Ole Miss, and you can read about that in today’s Journal. The junior tailback has gotten it done not only on the ground but through the air, and his Egg Bowl numbers break down like this:
• Rushing: 13-98, long of 34
• Receiving: 3-140, 2 TDs (33, 36), long of 71
• KO returns: 4-65, long of 17
• Punt returns: 1-16
• All-purpose yards: 319
• Rushing: 7-64, TD (36), long of 36
• Receiving: 3-27, TD (20), long of 20
• KO returns: 1-11
• All-purpose yards: 102
• Rushing: 20-162, TD
• Receiving: 6-167, 3 TDs
• KO returns: 5-76
• Punt returns: 1-16
• All-purpose yards: 421
It seems Perkins finds a little extra something for this game. Perkins isn’t so sure about that.
“Not really. A lot of fans, they motivate me by saying a lot of different things. I don’t really need to, because it’s a rivalry game, in-state, and everybody around Mississippi is going to be watching this game, wanting to hear about it. I just go in there with the same mindset I go in every game and try to do my job.”
Perkins typifies the confidence MSU has entering this game every year; the Bulldogs expect to make it four in a row over the Rebels. As we stood talking in the Bryan Building on Monday, I pointed at the mannequin sporting the uniform the Bulldogs will wear on Saturday. Like last year’s, this look includes gold numbers, lettering and trim. Wearing that uni at home is one thing, but in the enemy’s house?
“The jersey, we love the jersey. They look good,” Perkins said. “The gold in them, I think we deserve that, because the last three years we beat these guys. We’re trying to make it four years in a row under coach (Dan) Mullen, and I feel like we have a great chance of that.”
• From the other side, a win Saturday for Ole Miss would provide validation. … As we all know, cowbells won’t be allowed inside Vaught-Hemingway Stadium on Saturday, per SEC policy. If any are found, then Ole Miss fans can report the “cow bells” to security via text message. … You should probably vote in our Egg Bowl poll.