Mississippi State was back on the practice fields today under a bright sun, and the mood matched the weather. There was plenty of good-natured bantering and energy, and practice as a whole seemed more crisp than on Thursday.
Some more observations, then a couple of videos.
• Jameon Lewis and Brandon Holloway, a couple of small and speedy receivers, both had a good day. Lewis beat cornerback Darius Slay for a touchdown in 7-on-7 work, then beat linebacker Benardrick McKinney for another TD moments later. He had a touchdown during red zone work, too.
Holloway flashed his speed on several occasions. He took a punt return to the house, and later he made an 80-yard TD catch, outrunning the defense after catching Jamil Golden‘s pass in stride.
• Tailback Josh Robinson continued to break off yards in big chunks. He added some comedy to his repertoire when, after dashing in for a 12-yard touchdown, he handed the ball to my colleague, Brandon Marcello.
• Cornerback Taveze Calhoun made a leaping interception of Dak Prescott on the sideline, fumbled it, then got it back. He’s been showing some playmaking ability this week. Linebacker Beniquez Brown had a nice pick, too, during red zone drills.
• Quarterback Tyler Russell (sprained ankle) did some throwing during certain drills but did not participate in full team drills.
• Linebacker Chris Hughes was down on the field for several minutes, and I couldn’t tell what was wrong, but he eventually got up and watched practice.
• On the final red zone possession, several defensive players standing off to the side started chanting “De-fense!” Then when Golden ran for a TD, they all booed.
OK, here are a couple of videos: First up is cornerback Corey Broomfield, then Robinson.