Welcome to the day after, y’all. Signing day is in the books, and except for a possible late addition (namely juco DT Toby Johnson, who’s deciding on Feb. 19), MSU’s 2013 class is set. And of course, we’ve got full coverage for you in today’s Journal.
• My main story, which focuses on MSU’s recruiting efforts outside the state of Mississippi. Of the 21 signees, 13 are from outside these borders.
• My sidebar looked at how MSU filled some positions of need, namely at receiver and cornerback.
• We’ve also got the story on five-star signee Chris Jones, who was apparently considering Ole Miss but made the call for the Bulldogs on signing day. Jones told us that he was leaning heavily toward the Rebels as late as Tuesday night, then he said he spoke with both MSU head coach Dan Mullen and Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze early Wednesday morning before making his decision.
That doesn’t jive with what his mother and Mullen told us. His mom, Mary Woodhouse, said Jones was solid for MSU all the way. Mullen said he last spoke with Jones about 12:30 a.m. Wednesday – not around 6 a.m., as Jones said.
“I learned a long time ago with Chris, what I learned from him is he’s going to tell me what’s going on,” Mullen said. “Everything else you hear out there might not be the reality of what might be going on. He said, ‘Coach, I’ve got you. I trust you.'”
Ultimately, this little episode matters little, because Jones still signed with State. It just makes you wonder, though, why there would be conflicting stories.
• We also covered the signing ceremony of four-star tailback Ashton Shumpert, of Itawamba AHS. He’s one of the gems of this class.
• According to 247Sports, MSU’s signing class is ranked 22nd in the nation, ninth in the SEC.