Recapping MSU’s 8-2 win over Samford at Dudy Noble Field on Saturday.
• The buzz: MSU gained some revenge against the team that eliminated it from last year’s Tallahassee NCAA Regional. The Bulldogs (7-0) jumped 0ut to a 6-0 lead after two innings, and Samford (4-3) couldn’t generate much offense at all, managing just four hits against two MSU pitchers.
• Big inning: MSU started it off with a three-run first inning. Adam Frazier hit a leadoff triple and scored on C.T. Bradford‘s single. Later in the inning, Alex Detz and Brett Pirtle hit back-to-back two-out RBI singles.
• Key stats: MSU was 5 of 16 with runners in scoring position. … Samford was 1 of 5 with runners in scoring position. … Samford pitchers issued four walks and two hit-by-pitches.
• MSU at the plate: Frazier had three of MSU’s 13 hits, and 10 other Bulldogs had one hit apiece. … Hunter Renfroe‘s solo home run, his second of the season, made it 7-1 in the fourth inning. He had two RBIs and scored two runs. … Renfroe and Bradford have both reached safely in all seven games this season. … Frazier has five multiple-hit games this year.
• Samford at the plate: Samford had four hits, its first one not coming until Tommy Corbin‘s leadoff single in the fifth inning. … Zeth Stone and Sam Few had one RBI apiece.
• MSU on the mound: Starter Evan Mitchell tossed three innings, allowing one run on no hits with a strikeout and two walks. He threw 56 pitches. … Ross Mitchell (2-0) pitched the last six frames, allowing one run on four hits with four strikeouts and no walks. He threw 76 pitches.
• Samford on the mound: Starter C.K. Irby (1-1) lasted just two innings, giving up six runs on seven hits with two strikeouts and two walks. … Parker Curry allowed one run on four hits in four innings, while Mark Donham gave up one run on two hits in two innings. … Each of Samford’s pitchers had two strikeouts.
• Bottom line: The MSU pitching has been dynamic this year, and it hasn’t allowed more than two runs in a game yet. The offense showed life early, and when that happens, it’s gonna be hard for anyone to rally against this staff.
• Quotable: “We had a good lead. I didn’t want to walk anybody, just wanted to let my defense work.” – Ross Mitchell