Previewing today’s series finale between No. 3 MSU and Central Arkansas.
• First pitch: 1:30 p.m.
• Records: UCA 13-2, MSU 17-1.
• Pitching matchup: UCA RHP Bryce Biggerstaff (1-0, 1.89 ERA) vs. MSU RHP Kendall Graveman (1-0, 1.80)
• Central Arkansas lineup: RF Forresst Allday, LF Ethan Harris, CF Jonathan Davis, C Michael Marietta, 1B Scott Zimmerle, 2B Blake Marchal, 3B Garrett Brown, SS Justin Treece, DH Doug Votolato
• MSU lineup: SS Adam Frazier, LF Demarcus Henderson, 1B Alex Detz, RF Hunter Renfroe, C Mitch Slauter, CF C.T. Bradford, 3B Sam Frost, DH Trey Porter, 2B Brett Pirtle
• What to watch for: MSU suffered its first loss of the season Saturday, 7-5 in 10 innings. A win would have tied the school record for best start to a season, but as it is, the Bulldogs are now worried about winning their final non-conference weekend series. State is hitting a modest .273 against UCA pitching through the first two games, a much better average than the Bears’ .210. But UCA won yesterday thanks in large part to nine walks and six hit batsmen by 10 MSU pitchers. It was an atypical day for State’s hurlers, and one would expect them to get back on track today.
• Pregame playlist: A few songs from my iPod to set the tone…
–”Heartbroken, In Disrepair,” Dan Auerbach
–”Rebel of Babylon,” Metallica
–”The Weight,” The Band
–”Paul Revere,” Beastie Boys
–”Stampede,” Chris LeDoux