Recapping MSU’s 6-3 win over Auburn in the continuation of the series opener at Dudy Noble Field on Friday night.
• The buzz: MSU (31-13, 9-8 SEC) took care of Thursday’s business, holding on for a win from a game that had been suspended due to severe weather. Play resumed with one out in the bottom of the seventh. Closer Jonathan Holder picked up where he left off, striking out five of the six batters he faced tonight for his 12th save.
• Big inning: MSU pulled ahead 4-3 in the third inning. C.T. Bradford had the go-ahead single to right field, and it was the only hit of the inning. Brett Pirtle started the rally by drawing a bases-loaded walk, and Wes Rea had a sacrifice fly.
• Key stats: Each team turned two double plays. … Auburn committed four errors, leading to four unearned runs.
• Auburn at the plate: The Tigers (24-15, 6-11) had nine hits. … Cullen Wacker had three hits and an RBI. … Auburn was 2 of 11 with runners in scoring position.
• MSU at the plate: State had seven hits. … Bradford had two hits, as did Nick Ammirati. … Rea hit a solo homer in the second inning to tie it 1-1 and finished with two RBIs.
• Auburn on the mound: Starter Conner Kendrick (2-2) went 5 1/3 innings, allowing six runs (two earned) on five hits with three strikeouts and four walks. … Trey Cochran-Gill tossed one shutout inning, following by 1 2/3 shutout innings by Dillon Ortman, who entered when play resumed tonight.
• MSU on the mound: Starter Luis Pollorena went 3 1/3 innings, giving up three runs on five hits with three strikeouts and two walks. … Ross Mitchell (7-0) got the win with three shutout innings. He gave up four hits, fanned one and walked one. … Holder pitched 2 2/3 innings, allowed no hits, and struck out six of the seven batters he faced.
• Bottom line: After losing tonight’s first game – which was technically Game 2 – the Bulldogs should feel pretty good about things heading into tomorrow’s 4 p.m. rubber match. Sophomore left-hander Jacob Lindgren (3-1, 3.08 ERA) will start for MSU, coach John Cohen said tonight.