HOOVER, Ala. | Previewing today’s SEC Tournament second-round game between No. 5 seed MSU and No. 4 seed South Carolina.
• First pitch: 7:30 p.m.
• TV: CSS, ESPN3.com
• Records: MSU 41-16, South Carolina 39-16
• Pitching matchup: MSU LHP Luis Pollorena (6-3, 4.11) vs. South Carolina LHP Nolan Belcher (7-5, 2.17)
• MSU lineup: SS Adam Frazier, 3B Alex Detz, CF Hunter Renfroe, 2B Brett Pirtle, 1B Wes Rea, RF Demarcus Henderson, DH Daryl Norris, LF Derrick Armstrong, C Mitch Slauter
• South Carolina lineup: LF Graham Saiko, 3B Chase Vergason, SS Joey Pankake, 1B LB Dantzler, C Grayson Greiner, 2B Max Schrock, DH Brison Celek, RF Connor Bright, CF Tanner English
• What to watch for: These teams meet again. MSU took two of three from the Gamecocks this past weekend in Starkville, but SC has an advantage today in that it hasn’t played since Saturday. State, of course, played a 17-inning game against Missouri that ended at 12:24 this morning. Belcher pitched Thursday against MSU, and he allowed one run in 6 1/3 innings, but his bullpen blew it in a 5-4 Bulldog win. That night, Pollorena gave up four runs on five hits in 4 2/3 innings. One lineup note: You’ll notice C.T. Bradford is not starting in center field for the first time this season due to what coach John Cohen described, via text message, as a “slight muscle pull” in his leg. “Nothing major,” Cohen said, adding that Bradford might be available tonight. So, Renfroe has moved over from right field. The winner of this game faces Texas A&M, which just upset top-seeded and top-ranked Vanderbilt, 5-0. The loser plays the Commodores.
• Pregame playlist: A few songs from my iPod to set the tone…
–”Bo Diddley,” Discount Guns
–”Culture of Fear,” Thievery Corporation
–”California,” Delta Spirit
–”Bad News,” Whitey Morgan and the 78’s
–”Down on Your Luck,” Hollis Brown