Previewing today’s NCAA regional game between South Alabama and No. 14 Mississippi State.
• First pitch: 8:05 p.m.
• Streaming: ESPN3.com
• Records: MSU 44-17, South Alabama 43-18
• Pitching matchup: MSU LHP Luis Pollorena (6-3, 4.30) vs. South Alabama RHP Matt Bell (6-1, 3.52)
• MSU lineup: SS Adam Frazier, DH Alex Detz, RF Hunter Renfroe, 2B Brett Pirtle, 1B Wes Rea, CF C.T. Bradford, 3B Sam Frost, C Nick Ammirati, LF Demarcus Henderson
• South Alabama lineup: CF Jeff DeBlieux, 3B Bud Collura, 1B Jordan Patterson, LF Nick Zaharion, RF Nolan Earley, DH Dustin Dalken, 2B Robby Campbell, C Drew Cofield, SS Graham Odom
• What to watch for: These teams meet for the second time this year, and once again, MSU will be in the visiting team’s dugout. That’s because the home team for this game was determined by a coin flip, per NCAA rule. When these teams met in Mobile on April 2, MSU won 6-4 despite committing four errors. Bell started on the mound that game for the Jaguars, giving up four runs (three earned) on five hits in six innings, striking out two and walking two. He got a no-decision, as State scored twice in the ninth to break a 4-4 tie. SA beat Mercer yesterday, 9-4, banging out 14 hits and getting four RBIs from Dalken. The loser of this game plays Central Arkansas at 2 p.m. tomorrow in an elimination game; UCA just beat Mercer, 6-5 in 11 innings. The winner of that game plays the winner of this MSU-South Alabama game at 7.
• Pregame playlist: A few songs from my iPod to set the tone…
–”Rock This Town,” Stray Cats
–”Busman’s Holiday,” Allah-Las
–”Dead or Alive,” Bon Jovi
–”Don’t Shut ‘Em Down,” Flogging Molly