Previewing today’s NCAA regional game between No. 14 MSU and Central Arkansas.
• First pitch: 7:05 p.m.
• Streaming: ESPN3.com
• Pitching matchup: MSU RHP Trevor Fitts (0-0, 2.57) vs. UCA RHP Ethan McKinzie (3-2, 2.11)
• MSU lineup: SS Adam Frazier, DH Alex Detz, RF Hunter Renfroe, 2B Brett Pirtle, 1B Wes Rea, CF C.T. Bradford, 3B Sam Frost, C Nick Ammirati, LF Demarcus Henderson
• UCA lineup: RF Forrestt Allday, CF Jonathan Davis, LF Ethan Harris, 2B Blake Marchal, C Michael Marietta, 1B Scott Zimmerle, 3B Garrett Brown, SS Justin Treece, DH Logan Moon
• What to watch for: The Bulldogs can end this regional the way they began it – by beating UCA. Easier said than done, because the Bears won two of three here in the regular season. And in the Southland Conference Tournament, they won five games in a row after losing the tourney opener. If Central Arkansas can win this one, then another game will be played at 7 p.m. Monday. With Connor Gilmore tossing a complete game in this afternoon’s 3-0 win over South Alabama, the UCA bullpen should be fully loaded tonight. McKinzie has made 20 appearances this year but only two starts. He tossed a scoreless 10th inning against MSU on March 9 to earn the save. Fitts, a sophomore, is making his third start of the year; he allowed three runs (two earned) over 6 1/3 innings in his previous two starts, versus Oral Roberts and Missouri. A win for MSU would send it to its second super regional in three years, and it would play the winner of the Charlottesville Regional (Virginia is playing Elon tonight).
• Pregame playlist: A few songs from my iPod to set the tone…
–”Little Numbers,” BOY
–”When We Were Young,” Benjamin Dunn and the Animal Orchestra
–”Serial Bowls,” Futurebirds
–”Hang You Up,” Yellowcard