Previewing today’s NCAA regional game between Central Arkansas and No. 14 MSU.
• First pitch: 7:05 p.m.
• Streaming: ESPN3.com
• Records: UCA 42-21, MSU 45-18
• Pitching matchup: UCA RHP Bryce Biggerstaff (6-4, 2.86) vs. MSU RHP Ben Bracewell (1-1, 1.61)
• UCA lineup: RF Forrestt Allday, CF Jonathan Davis, LF Ethan Harris, 2B Blake Marchal, C Michael Marietta, 2B Scott Zimmerle, 3B Garrett Brown, SS Justin Treece, DH Logan Moon
• MSU lineup: SS Adam Frazier, DH Alex Detz, RF Hunter Renfroe, 2B Brett Pirtle, 1B Wes Rea, CF C.T. Bradford, 3B Sam Frost, LF Demarcus Henderson, C Nick Ammirati
• What to watch for: As I wrote in today’s Journal, UCA is trying to repeat some recent history. The Bears won five consecutive games in the Southland Conference Tournament after losing the opener, and now they’re trying to win four in a row here after starting with a 5-3 loss to MSU on Friday. The winner of this game advances to the super regional round at Virginia. UCA beat the Bulldogs last night, 5-2, and will have a fully stocked bullpen thanks to two complete games from its starting pitchers Sunday. MSU is expected to lean heavily on its pen as well, in part because Bracewell is not a normal starter. He’s got just one start this year, at Arkansas, where he gave up three runs on two hits with two walks and failed to get an out. Biggerstaff is a normal weekend guy for UCA, with 15 starts under his belt. He pitched five innings of one-run, one-hit relief to earn the win against Mercer on Saturday, throwing 74 pitches.
• Pregame playlist: A few songs from my iPod to set the tone…
–”I Will Wander,” The Features
–”Sqworm,” Ramona Falls
–”Such Great Heights,” The Postal Service
–”25 for the Rest of Our Lives,” The Henry Clay People
–”Last One Leaving,” Tyler Bryant & the Shakedown