CHARLOTTESVILLE, Va. | Previewing today’s NCAA Super Regional game between No. 6 Virginia and No. 14 MSU.
• First pitch: 6 p.m.
• TV: ESPN2, ESPNU, ESPN3.com
• Records: Virginia 50-11, MSU 47-18
• Pitching matchup: Virginia LHP Scott Silverstein (10-1, 2.86) vs. MSU RHP Trevor Fitts (0-0, 2.28)
• Virginia lineup: LF Mike Papi, 1B Jared King, RF Joe McCarthy, CF Brandon Downes, DH Derek Fisher, 2B Reed Gragnani, SS Nick Howard, 3B Kenny Towns, C Nate Irving
• MSU lineup: SS Adam Frazier, 3B Alex Detz, RF Hunter Renfroe, 2B Brett Pirtle, 1B Wes Rea, CF C.T. Bradford, LF Demarcus Henderson, C Nick Ammirati, DH Derrick Armstrong
• What to watch for: The Bulldogs will go for a berth in the College World Series, and it would be the program’s ninth trip there. But Virginia will be a tough out. It hasn’t lost back-to-back home games all season, and it’s unlikely that the Cavaliers have a repeat of yesterday, when they gave up 20 hits, committed four errors and hit into four double plays. Silverstein brings plenty of experience to the mound as a fifth-year senior, and last time out he tossed six shutout innings against Elon in the Charlottesville Regional. As for MSU’s pitching situation, Fitts is drawing his fourth start since May 14, and in the previous three he’s allowed two earned runs in nine total innings. MSU doesn’t need a long outing from Fitts, it just needs him to keep the UVA bats at bay long enough for the bullpen to do its thing. Remember, State is the home team today.
• Pregame playlist: A few songs from my iPod to set the tone…
–”Miles & Miles,” Matthew Mayfield
–”Crime of Passion,” Bhi Bhiman
–”Stop, Hey What’s That Sound,” Buffalo Springfield
–”Tickin’ Bomb,” Shovels & Rope
–”The Final Countdown,” Europe