OMAHA, Neb. | Previewing today’s College World Series game between Oregon State and Mississippi State.
• First pitch: 2 p.m.
• TV: ESPN, ESPN3.com (Dave O’Brien, Kyle Peterson and Kaylee Hartung)
• Records: Oregon State 52-12, MSU 50-18
• Pitching matchup: Oregon State RHP Andrew Moore (14-1, 1.57) vs. MSU RHP Kendall Graveman (7-5, 3.17)
• Oregon State lineup: SS Tyler Smith, 2B Andy Peterson, LF Michael Conforto, RF Dylan Davis, 1B Danny Hayes, 3B Kavin Keyes, DH Ryan Barnes, C Jake Rodriguez, CF Max Gordon
• MSU lineup: SS Adam Frazier, 3B Alex Detz, RF Hunter Renfroe, 2B Brett Pirtle, 1B Wes Rea, CF C.T. Bradford, DH Trey Porter, LF Demarcus Henderson, C Nick Ammirati
• What to watch for: MSU needs to beat Oregon State just once to advance to the CWS championship series for the first time in program history. If the Bulldogs can’t get it done today, they get another chance at 2 p.m. Saturday. We have a rematch on the mound, as Graveman and Moore squared off on Saturday in MSU’s 5-4 win. Graveman allowed four runs (two earned) in 4 2/3 innings, while Moore gave up four runs in 7 1/3. Neither pitcher got a decision. So both offenses have familiarity with these arms, and it’ll be interesting to see how that impacts the game. MSU won the first meeting thanks to Wes Rea‘s two-out, two-run double in the eighth inning, part of a recent late-inning trend for the Bulldogs. MSU is the home team today after being the visitor the first two games here.
• Pregame playlist: A few songs from my iPod to set the tone…
–”The Distance,” Cake
–”Drinkin’ My Baby Goodbye,” Charlie Daniels Band
–”Intro,” The XX
–”Good Riddance (Time of Your Life),” Green Day