Mississippi State head coach Dan Mullen and former fullback Fred McCrary finished in a second place tie in the eighth annual Chick-Fil-A Bowl Challenge at Reynolds Plantation in Greensboro, Ga.
Mullen and McCrary combined to shoot -9 under par and were four strokes behind the Georgia Tech team of Paul Johnson and Jon Barry. The Bulldog duo tied with the Cincinnati team of Tommy Tuberville and JK Shaffer.
Mullen and McCrary’s finish raised $70,000 in scholarship funds and have now raised $135,000 in the four years the two have teamed at the event. This was their best finish and the purse topped their three previous showings combined.
Mullen and McCrary were the highest ranked among the four Southeastern Conference participants.
1. Georgia Tech (Paul Johnson / Jon Barry) -13 $125,000
2. (T) Mississippi State (Dan Mullen / Fred McCrary) -9 $70,000
2. (T) Cincinnati (Tommy Tuberville / JK Schaffer) -9 $70,000
4. Arizona (Rich Rodriguez / Jack Wagner) -8 $50,000
5. (T) Alabama (Nick Saban / Mark Ingram) -7 $30,000
5. (T) Auburn (Gus Malzahn / Bo Jackson) -7 $30,000
5. (T) Clemson (Dabo Swinney / Steve Fuller) -7 $30,000
5. (T) N.C. State (Dave Doeren / Terry Harvey) -7 $30,000
5. (T) Ole Miss (Hugh Freeze / Sean Tuohy) -7 $30,000
10. Virginia Tech (Frank Beamer / Brad Clontz) -5 $25,000
11. North Carolina (Larry Fedora / Roy Williams) E $20,000