By Hayden Sowers
Impending rain and lightning forced Ole Miss to move practice inside on Wednesday. Here are some thoughts and quotes from Ole Miss coach Hugh Freeze and defensive coordinator Dave Wommack:
- Freeze on UTEP’s RB Nathan Jeffery, “Their tailback is very impressive. He rushed for 177 yards against Oklahoma which is a very talented team.” Freeze said from last year’s film they expected them to come out and throw it, but this year Freeze said “they are going to line up with two tight ends on both sides of the field and pound the football.”
- Everyone expected to play is healthy and ready to go, according to Freeze. That includes RB Jeff Scott, whose 2012 season debut will be Saturday.
- Wommack said the main problem in the first half last Saturday and most of fall camp has been “keeping our eyes in the right places during the play.” Wommack also added, “I told our staff we need to get some real life blinders out here and get them focused in. I know they did a much better job today, but that has been a real weakness of ours, and we have to work on getting that fixed, or we are going to get torn up pretty quick.”
- DE Cameron Whigham worked a lot with the first team today, but Wommack noted that that DE spot is done by committee and that people should not put a lot of stock into who is starting.
- During practice today the Rebel QBs and RBs worked on a little option, so that could be another wrinkle into the offense down the road. A.J. Hawkins, who is the starting RG, also worked some with the first team offensive line at C. OL Coach Matt Luke is still trying to find the best five to put out onto the field each Saturday. That’s an interesting development since Hawkins was the starting center before being replaced by Evan Swindall at mid-season last year.