By Hayden Sowers
Ole Miss practiced for about 90 minutes Wednesday as their preparation for Saturday’s game against the Tulane Green Wave continued:
- Hugh Freeze said the practice was “sloppy,” but did mention the energy and effort was still there. “We had some mistakes we didn’t make yesterday that we made today on some of the same stuff we were doing.”
- Freeze’s message to the team about those mistakes was simple, “We better get them fixed or we are going to get our butts beat.”
- The DT rotation will be 2 men short on Saturday as Woodrow Hamilton is out with an ankle injury and Uriah Grant is out with a hand injury.
- Freeze said that the staff already feels “comfortable” with Charles Sawyer at CB. I think if Freeze could have that move over again he would have moved him there in the spring and let him learn that position. Sawyer looks like a natural at CB and looked a little timid to me at safety. Look for Sawyer and Wesley Pendelton to man the starting CB spots on Saturday.
- Freeze and DC Dave Wommack have been coy on the other apparent move of CJ Johnson back to LB. Johnson has been working with LBs both days of practice and when asked if he is permanently there Wommack said, “We’ll see.” I think you can expect to see Johnson play more and more there over the next few weeks, something that has thrust Channing Ward into one of the starting DE positions.
- Wommack mentioned that Tulane gave up eight sacks in their last game against Tulsa, so you would have to think that the defense really wants to get after the QB on Saturday. Tulane is also expected to start a true freshman at QB and Wommack thinks Tulane will “narrow the offense down a little bit” on Saturday.
- Ole Miss will honor Tulane player Devon Walker, who sustained a spinal injury at Tulsa, by wearing “DW” decals on their helmets.