The Major League draft begins Thursday and will run through Saturday. The Rebels were ravaged by the draft last year with three signees taken in the first round and all signing pro contracts.
Ole Miss coach Mike Bianco doesn’t believe the 2014 recruiting class will follow the same path, but there will still be anxious moments ahead in the next few days.
“One of the things I’ve said, this class is not as top-loaded like last year’s class with three guys that were probably going in the first round or very close. It doesn’t have that kind of star power in it. It’s probably got the next tier,” Bianco said. “There are a lot of guys in that middle, as the draft goes it depends on what did they say to the scout. Those phone calls are made the day before the draft or the day of the draft, the round they may go, how do they answer the questions. It’s one of those drafts where we could get a lot of kids drafted or we could go unscathed or somewhere in between. It’s not going to be like last year you’re going to get three guys picked in the first round.”
Left-handed pitcher Cody Reed of Northwest Community College, infielder Dalton Dulin of Memphis and Orlando outfielder J.B. Woodman are signees to keep an eye on regarding the draft.
Then of course there are Ole Miss juniors who are expected to be drafted highly enough to take off – pitchers Bobby Wahl and Mike Mayers and catcher Stuart Turner.