Ole Miss media relations sent an email a few minutes ago laying out the details of the Marshall Henderson suspension.
Henderson has been suspended since July when the school said the decision came about for violation of team rules. After that announcement The Wall Street Journal cited police reports in saying that Henderson had been pulled over in May on suspicion of speeding and a small amount of drug possession.
Regarding the suspension, Ole Miss coach Andy Kennedy had said the Henderson, who led the SEC in scoring last season, would miss games but offered no more details.
Today’s announcement says Henderson will miss the exhibition game against South Carolina-Aiken on Nov. 1 and the season opener against Troy on Nov. 8. He will also miss the first two SEC games: at home against Auburn on Jan. 9 and at Mississippi State on Jan. 11.
The release says, “The suspension is a result of Henderson’s total conduct during the 2012-2013 season, SEC and NCAA tournaments and his behavior since the end of the season.”
Kennedy has also said that Henderson has done what has been asked of him during his suspension.
The school issued comments from Kennedy and Henderson:
Henderson: “I want to thank Coach Kennedy, Ross Bjork and the university for giving me an opportunity to rejoin the team. This has been a difficult time for me, and I appreciate this chance. My teammates and I are looking forward to defending our SEC Championship.”
Kennedy has said the Ole Miss athletics director Ross Bjork would be involved in determining the length and other particulars of Henderson’s suspension.
Kennedy: “I support this decision, and I am thankful to our leadership for allowing Marshall the opportunity to earn the right to rejoin our team. Marshall has been compliant with the process put in place for him since his suspension in early July, and we look forward to him being back on our team.”