A few notes on the Georgia Tech run game against the five teams that defeated the Yellow Jackets.
It is true that the run stats were padded in wins over Elon and Alabama A&M. Tech outscored those opponents 136-7 and rushed for a combined 798 yards.
The Jackets also ran the ball well in four of their five losses, requiring the opponent to have a strong offensive game to win.
In four of Tech’s five losses the winning team scored at least 38 points. The outlier is Virginia Tech.
– Rushed for 129 in a 17-10 loss to Virginia Tech.
– Rushed for 335 in 45-30 loss to Miami.
– Rushed for 237 in 38-20 loss to BYU.
– Rushed for 248 in 55-31 loss to Clemson.
– Rushed for 263 in 41-34 loss to Georgia.
Tech also defeated Syracuse, a 6-6 bowl team, 56-0. The Orange would go on to defeat Wake Forest, Maryland and Boston College after that loss and would drop a one-point decision to Pittsburgh.