What we saw in six viewing periods today. …
– Tee Shepard’s absence. That’s something, unfortunately, that Ole Miss fans may need to get used to. Hugh Freeze talks about that more in the video which will be posted shortly. There’s no definitive word on Shepard’s status with a big toe injury.
Early in the workout we saw Shepard with a boot on his left foot pushing his away across the field to the weight room with one of those small carts that rests an injured foot while you walk with a good one.
The wild card Shepard’s absence will likely be freshman D.K. Buford. To continue the theme of quality depth on defense, Buford will have to play effectively behind starter Tony Conner, because Shepherd’s injury will mean more time at corner for Mike Hilton who to this point had been playing both positions.
I’m thinking your rotation of top three cornerbacks becomes Senquez Golson, Derrick Jones and Hilton. If Kendarius Webster emerges — and Freeze has been high on him early — maybe Hilton spends some time at Huskie.
– Ben Still was working at first-team center though Robert Conyers was getting reps there too. Fahn Cooper was at first-team right tackle.
– Transfer DE Fadol Brown was fully dressed at back at practice. At this time freshman Marquise Haynes continue to run with the first team. Today’s first DL from end to end included C.J. Johnson, Bryon Bennett, Robert Nkemdiche and Haynes.
– Former Ole Miss DB Ronnie Heard was in the ear of freshman DB C.J. Hampton for a minute or so. Don’t know what kind of “coaching up” was going on there. Former Ole Miss QB Romaro Miller was also at practice today.
– On the injury front, CB Kailo Moore was back at practice, DL Issac Gross was not.