A few interesting notes here on the SEC West.
Through the first four weeks of the season it’s members are 24-2. Six are ranked, four in the AP top 10, and the seventh is receiving votes in both polls.
Many of those West Division wins have come against lesser teams, but there are no near-misses in those games. West teams are winning by big scores.
There are quality wins in there too like Alabama’s wins over West Virginia and Florida, Texas A&M’s win over South Carolina, LSU’s win over Wisconsin, Arkansas’ win over Texas Tech, Auburn’s win over Kansas State and Ole Miss’ win over Boise State.
The division’s two losses have been in West-on-West violence, Arkansas at Auburn and LSU at home against Mississippi State.
Comparing other Power 5 conference divisions:
– SEC East teams have nine losses with Vanderbilt dragging the rear.
– The Pac-12 South has five losses, the Pac-12 North three. Both have one fewer team competing.
– The ACC Atlantic has seven losses, the ACC Coastal eight losses.
– The Big 12 doesn’t have divisions and has 10 losses among its 10 teams.
– The Big 10 East has seven losses, The Big 10 West has eight.