Order of Protection denied for Miller in court

By John Davis, Oxford Citizen

Lindsey Miller, the stepfather of Ole Miss offensive tackle Laremy Tunsil, was denied a continuation of an Order of Protection by Justice Court Judge Mikey Avent Friday afternoon.

Miller represented himself in the first open hearing on the case stemming from an altercation at Miller’s rented home in Taylor. Tunsil, who was charged and arrested the night of June 26, was also in court along with his mother Friday.

Steve Farese represented Tunsil, who admitted hitting Miller, but only after Miller touched him and disrespected his mother. Miller is being accused of pushing Tunsil’s mother the night question. Details of the night were offered up by Miller, Tunsil and Tunsil’s mother in the almost hour-long hearing.

A pattern of abuse by Miller was brought out in the court by Farese, one that took place while Tunsil was set to play in the U.S. Army All-American game in San Antonio. Another incident that involved Miller and Tunsil’s father almost led to a fight while the Rebels played TCU in the Chick-Fil-A Bowl this past season.

During the proceedings, Miller called his own son, a 12-year-old, to the stand to talk about the night in question. His son left the court in tears following the examination.

Farese was able to counter Miller’s testimony, and questions, repeatedly during the hearing. Avent also told Miller to lower his tone three different times, adding that he needed to let the witnesses answer the questions.

In other media reports, the skirmish revolved a meeting with two agents. During the hearing, Tunsil discounted that by saying one of the men Miller thought was an agent was actually a friend of his from South Carolina. The yellow convertible that Miller thought was given to Tunsil, by an agent, was actually a rental from the Memphis International Airport and being used by Tunsil’s friend.

Miller was caught by Farese changing his story in regards to his previous disagreements with Tunsil. A pattern of verbal abuse on the part of Miller to his wife was detailed during testimony.

Miller denied taking $3,000 from the news outlet TMZ.com, even after they offered to pay him. Pictures of his head where he was struck by Tunsil still appeared on the site four days after the altercation.

During the testimony, a meeting with coaches from the University of Georgia was brought up. Miller wanted the coaches to pay for the dinner at a Mexican restaurant in San Antonio. Tunsil’s mother reminded him that was against NCAA regulations. According to Tunsil’s mother, Miller was angry that he had to pay for a meal he didn’t like and then got angry with her, which led to altercation in the hotel room while Tunsil was set to play in the All-Star game.

Farese was able to use the meal incident as another example that Miller was willing to do anything to garner money. His attempt to gain full disability was also a topic for discussion during the hearing. Miller, who was wearing a knee brace and was aided by a cane, said his goal was to get 100 percent disability.

However, Desiree Tunsil said he was able to walk up to five miles and during the Chick-Fil-A Bowl, he almost walked around the entire Georgia Dome, and apparently, without a cane.

Denham Springs, La., native, Mississippian since 1989 with a stop in Meridian before arriving in Tupelo. Daily Journal beat writer since 1996, covering Ole Miss since 2002. Proud Northeast Louisiana alum. Follow me on Twitter @parrishalford and listen to John Davis and myself daily with The Ole Miss Beat on Rebel Sports Radio.

Posted in Football
  • Killer_Beeze

    Show’s over. Curtain comes down. Time to shuffle on folks. :)))))

Parrish’s Twitter Feed

Meet the Writers

JD and Parrish

Want Email Updates? Warning... We Update Often

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 778 other subscribers