Know Your Recruit: Rebels garner pledge from Greg Little

By John Davis, Sports Editor

Ole Miss continued to build momentum on the recruiting front for 2016 Wednesday afternoon with the verbal pledge of the nation’s top high school offensive tackle.

Greg Little of Allen, Texas picked the Rebels over a bevy of offers, including Alabama. Little was previously scheduled to announce his college choice back in November, but that announcement was postponed. Ole Miss has been the leader in the process. Little is the second player from Allen to have given a verbal pledge for the Rebels. Safety Jaylon Jones picked Ole Miss this past spring.

Little’s pledge not only pushed the Rebels up the recruiting rankings, it also secured the ¬†expected loss of Laremy Tunsil at left tackle following the Allstate Sugar Bowl. Little, who has started the last three seasons, has played both tackle spots. His coach, Tom Westerberg, said Little started his career at right tackle before moving there after the fourth game of the season when he was a junior.

“He has all the tools. The knowledge, the talent, the work ethic, everything they’re looking at to produce at a very high level,” Westerberg said of Little. “I think Greg has led more than his work than anything else. He is not the biggest vocal guy on the team. He is a kid that the guys know that is going to go out everyday and do his job and work at his craft of being the best offensive tackle. He is going to work when we’re not in football season and all the camps and all the extra work he’s put in to be the best is more of his leadership style.”

Allen, which has won multiple state championships in Texas, is not one to fudge on height and weight. Westerberg has Little listed at 6-foot-6 and weighing 282 pounds. Since his sophomore season, Little has played in 47 games. His senior season just came to an end this past Friday night in a 23-17 loss to Westlake (Austin) in the Class 6A state football playoffs.

Denham Springs, La., native, Mississippian since 1989 with a stop in Meridian before arriving in Tupelo. Daily Journal beat writer since 1996, covering Ole Miss since 2002. Proud Northeast Louisiana alum. Follow me on Twitter @parrishalford and listen to John Davis and myself daily with The Ole Miss Beat on Rebel Sports Radio.

Posted in Football, Recruiting
  • Cal Bell

Yesterday, Mel Kiper Jr. (NFL drat guru), was asked about how the Kemdechu fiasco would affect his draft status. Kiper asked how could he do this to his team that’s in preparation for the biggest game since 1961. Said he’ll probably fall from top 5 to somewhere in the 20’s. Wow!!!

• Killer_Beeze

…and this bothers you? Why? The only conceivable/logical reason you’re so concerned about Robert Nkemdiche( who cares what the helll Kiper says) is ENVY.
      Let me sum up the difference between cowbell nation and Rebel Nation:
      2014: Ole Miss 7-0 winners against cowbell nation (twice in basketball,three times in baseball and winner of the Egg Bowl).

2015: Ole Miss against cowbell nation 1-0 (so far) winner of the Egg Bowl. We’ll see about the other two sports, but it could very well be a ”three-peat”.

• Cal Bell

$$$$, spice and loose coeds can make any coach, even a H.S. girl’s hoops coach look like Nick Saban. It’s Jimmy’s and Joe’s, not x’s n o’s.

• big rob

There was some loose girls,etc in an apartment down in Starkville last week as well and some loose weed in a car in Alabama back in august as well as an apartment in Alabama and now we hear about Tenn players and Georgia ones so point being its everywhere . If you got beef with Freeze or Rob just call them and go see them I am sure they can scratch your itch. Or just keep being a coward on here as usual.

• bob

Everyone is familiar with the age old saying: “If you can’t beat them, then make up stories about them and post disparaging remarks anonymously on the internet”, right?

• Cal Bell

Oh Bobby!! Everyone knows about the delusional ramblings of fans who refuse to see the truth. But, no worries, mate. I will continue to make sure the truth is known. It happened with the Sandinistas and it’s happening in O’town.

• Sally Sue

Well, look who FINALLY got something right. You do make the truth known. The truth is that you are nothing but an internet troll and you make that known with your every post.

• bornarebel

Please everyone just ignore turfguy. He just wants someone to argue with.
    Proverbs 26:4

• Cal Bell

Matthew 6:1

• Cal Bell

Why are you guys so touchy? This is the best season in 50 years! This season was the pinnacle of the Frozen era and still couldn’t find Atlanta? Is that what has you irritable? Next season?

• bornarebel

At least you opened your Bible.

• Cal Bell
  • Cal Bell

Mark Rosenberg compiled a top 25 of football programs that have had the most players arrested over the last 5 years. Washington st. is #1 with 31, Ole Miss is 6th with 22. Congratulations! State didn’t even make the top 40.

• Bob

Nice try. While there really IS such a list, Ole Miss is the team from Mississippi that “didn’t make the top 40” while Miss State came in at number 18. You have been caught in a bald-faced lie. http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/sec-football/college-football-arrests-2015/

• Bob

While not the “bald-faced lie” that you assert (I think that you read the table wrong- it is a bit confusing), the troll’s post is indeed deceptive. The list is a list covering five years. That includes a time when Ole Miss was in a great deal of turmoil and certainly cannot be blamed on freeze. Over the past year, Mississppi State has more than Ole Miss including two in the past couple of weeks. So maybe his other post should say “if mullen’s players continue to be arrested”

• Cal Bell

Wow! Did you even click on the link I posted yesterday? Typical Ole Miss fan. Ignore what’s in front of you and start with the personal attacks. Ho hum, just another fanatic, wearing Harvard red glasses. Some things never change.

• Cal Bell

If Freeze’s players continue to be arrested, Ole Miss could take over the #1 ranking of most players arrested in a five year span. Now that’s something all future recruits’ parent’s can look forward to. Great leadership!

• Cal Bell

That’s fanbuzz.com, list of arrests

Parrish’s Twitter Feed

Meet the Writers

JD and Parrish

Want Email Updates? Warning... We Update Often

Enter your email address to subscribe to this blog and receive notifications of new posts by email.

Join 778 other subscribers