By John Davis, Oxford Citizen
Ole Miss wide receiver Laquon Treadwell said he would go home and make a decision on whether he would stay for his senior season, or head to the NFL.
Three days after catching three touchdowns in the Allstate Sugar Bowl, Treadwell is headed to play in the NFL. Treadwell, who is expected to be selected early in the first round, issued a statement.
“After sitting down with my family, we have decided it is time for me to take the next step in my career and enter the 2016 NFL draft. It’s always been a dream of mine to play in the NFL, and I can’t thank my teammates, coaches and our great fans enough for their unbelievable support since the first day I stepped foot on campus. No matter how far life may take us, I will always be an Ole Miss Rebel. God bless.”
Ole Miss head coach Hugh Freeze also issued a statement.
“It was an honor to have coached Laquon, and our family will miss him greatly,” Freeze said. “The commitment that he and others in his class made to our program three years ago has changed the culture of Ole Miss. I’m so proud of what he accomplished here, and I look forward to seeing him continue to grow and shine as a player and a person.”
A native of Crete, Illinois, Treadwell finishes his three-year college career as the most accomplished receiver in Ole Miss football history. He is projected by most analysts as a first-round pick. The 2016 NFL Draft will be held April 28-30 in Chicago.
Treadwell joins teammate Robert Nkemdiche as Rebel underclassmen declaring for the draft. Nkemdiche, a junior defensive tackle from Loganville, Georgia, is also projected as a first-round selection.
Here is a list of accomplishments provided by Ole Miss on Treadwell’s career.
- Most catches in a career (202)
- Most catches per game in a career (5.77)
- Most receiving yards per game in a career (68.4)
- Most catches in a season (82 – 2015)
- Most receiving yards in a season (1,153 – 2015)
- Most touchdown catches in a season (11 – 2015)
- Most 100-yard receiving games in a season (6 – 2015)
- Most catches per game in a season (6.31 – 2015)
- Most receiving yards per game in a season (88.7 – 2015)
- Consecutive games with a touchdown catch (6 – 2015)
- Consecutive games with 100 receiving yards (5 – 2015)
- Most catches in a game (14 – 2015 vs. Memphis)
OTHER NOTABLE TREADWELL ACCOMPLISHMENTS:
- First Ole Miss Rebel to be named a finalist for the Biletnikoff Award
- 2015 All-American (Walter Camp second team, AP third team)
- 2015 All-SEC first team (unanimous)
- 2014 All-SEC second team (Athlon)
- 2013 SEC Freshman of the Year (first Ole Miss Rebel to earn that honor)
- 2013 Freshman All-American
- Led all SEC players with 1,153 receiving yards and 11 touchdown catches in 2015
- Seventh-most career receptions in SEC history
- Top three in school history in career receiving yards, receiving touchdowns and 100-yard receiving games