By Sheena Barnett
BALDWYN – Enter the world of Mowgli and his animal kingdom in Baldwyn Main Street Players’ summer youth production of “The Jungle Book.”
It’s a play version based on Rudyard Kipling’s stories. You wont’ hear “Bear Necessities,” but you’ll still be entertained by Rikki-Tikki-Tavi and Baloo.
“It’s very funny,” said Seth Bratton, 10, who plays Mowgli. “We’ve been working hard, and it’s finally about to pay off.”
“The Jungle Book” is funny, but dramatic, too, as Mowgli has to defeat the tiger Shere Khan.
Director Tina Velasquez and her daughter, Channing Lomax, who is a theater major at Ole Miss, have constructed an elaborate set on the theater’s small stage.
They’ve also made colorful and fuzzy costumes for the animals.
Katie-Rae Carmichael, 12, plays the intelligent panther Bagheera, who teaches Mowgli and tries to keep him out of trouble.
“It’s fun because you get to be different and be an animal,” she said. “It’s fun, but it’s hard work.”
Katie-Rae and Seth said they’ve made a lot of friends on the set of “The Jungle Book,” and they can’t wait to put on the show, which opens tonight.
“There are a lot of funny scenes,” Katie-Rae said. “They’ll enjoy it.”
“We’ve put in a lot of effort,” he said. “It’s going to be a good show, no doubt.”
• What: Baldwyn Main Street Players present “Jungle Book”
• When: 7 p.m. tonight and Friday; 2 p.m. and 7 p.m. Saturday
• Where: Claude Gentry Theatre, Baldwyn
• Cost: $12/adults, $6/students
• Info: (662) 706-1219
• “Jungle Book” cast: Seth Bratton (Mowgli); Abby Magill (Nyra); Emilee Hill (Chitra); Tanner Palmer (Rikki-Tikki-Tavi); Scott Bratton (Baloo); Katie-Rae Carmichael (Bagheera); Mollie Tucker (Father Wolf); Mika Underwood (Mother Wolf); Maddux Richey (Tabaqui); Rustin Roberts (Kaa); Lilly Tucker (Mang); Abby Hannon (Mor); Kristian Hill, Amelia Nelson, Jonathan Harper (Wolves); Cheyenne Etheridge (Queen Monkey); Tess Parker and Jalyn Bean (Monkeys); Haley Cockrell (Shere Khan); Michaela Harper (Mowgli’s Mother); Joseph Harper (Village Elder); Brooke Morris (Cobra)