By NEMS Daily Journal
Businesses to offer free food for picnic
– Downtown Tupelo businesses will have free food to offer during the Downtown Summer Picnic.
The event will be 11 a.m. to 2 p.m. today at 14 different venues. You’ll find tomato sandwiches, popcorn, snow cones, watermelon and more.
A list of participating businesses is located at www.tupelomainstreet.com, or call (662) 841-6598.
West of Shake Rag troupe to perform at Link Centre
– Those entertaining folks with West of Shake Rag improv troupe will be at it again on Saturday.
The show will be 7:30 p.m. at Link Centre’s Black Box Theatre. The $5 admission includes popcorn. Call (662) 690-4011 for more.
Dulcimer group to play at Natchez Trace center
– Dulcimer music will fill the air from 10 a.m. to 1 p.m. Saturday.
The Natchez Trace Parkway Visitors Center will host a concert by the North Mississippi Dulcimer Association. It’s free. Call (662) 680-4027.
Thorn’s blues exhibit to close soon at GumTree
– Time’s growing short to catch Eddie Thorn’s exhibit at the GumTree Museum of Art in Tupelo.
His display of black and white portraits of blues artists is scheduled to close on July 12. Get the facts by calling (662) 844-2787.
Sawmill Festival set for Friday, Saturday
– The 2011 Bruce Sawmill Festival will be Friday and Saturday on the square.
Expect food, arts, crafts, kids’ games and entertainment. Learn more by calling (662) 983-2222.
Artists to get inspired by nature at workshops
– Hilary Mason will teach an art class that’s inspired by nature.
Meetings will be 6 p.m. Tuesday and 9 a.m. July 16, 23 and 30 at Strawberry Plains Audubon Center, Holly Springs.
The cost is $120/per person. Call (662) 252-1155.