By NEMS Daily Journal
GumTree event to honor Julia Blakey on Saturday
– The GumTree Museum of Art will host “Remembering Julia,” a fundraising event in honor of the late Julia Blakey.
It will be 10 a.m. to 2 p.m. Saturday, and proceeds will benefit the museum and Empty Bowls. Finger foods and warm beverages will be served. The cost is $25. Call (662) 844-2787.
Film commission plans membership meeting
– Tupelo Film Commission will host a get-to-know-you meeting for new members at 10 a.m. Saturday.
It’ll take place at the Tupelo Convention & Visitors Bureau, and it’s open to anyone who’s interested in film. The membership fee is $5. Call (662) 841-6521.
Symphony to take trip to space during concert
– The Tupelo Symphony Orchestra will perform Holst’s “The Planets” at 7:30 p.m. Saturday at Tupelo Civic Auditorium.
A video presentation featuring images taken from the Hubble telescope and other NASA deep space probes will be shown during the performance. The concert also will feature work by J.S. Bach and Alexander Arutiunian.
Tickets are $20/advance, $25/at the door and $10/students. Call (662) 842-8433, or visit www.tupelosymphony.com.
State to unveil new marker for McAnally
– A Mississippi Country Music Trail marker honoring Mac McAnally will be unveiled in his hometown.
A ceremony will be 1 p.m. Friday at C.C. Shook Park, 389 2nd Street, Belmont. Call (601) 359-3297.
Live theater options available around area
– If you’re in the mood for a live experience, Northeast Mississippi is overflowing with theater options:
• Amory High School’s “Phantom of the Opera,” 7 p.m. today, Amory High School Auditorium. $20, $15, $10 in advance or $25 at door. (662) 256-5753.
• Itawamba Agricultural High School’s “The Wizard of Oz,” 7 p.m. today and Friday, and 2 and 7 p.m. Saturday, Fulton Grammar School, Fulton. $7. (662) 862-3104.
• Tallahatchie River Players’ “Little Women,” 7 p.m. today to Saturday, Magnolia Civic Center, New Albany. $8. (662) 534-3438.
• Ripley Arts Council’s “Smoke on the Mountain Homecoming,” 7 p.m. today, Friday and Saturday, and 2 p.m. Sunday, Dixie Theatre, Ripley. $10/adults, $5/students. (662) 993-2787.