Corinth tour features three historic homes

By Ginna Parons/NEMS Daily Journal

CORINTH – The 2011 Third Annual Corinth Home & Garden Tour will be April 29 from 1 to 4 p.m. and April 30 from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. in the historic section of downtown.
The three homes on the tour were carefully selected so that they are all in walking distance of one another.
Admission is $10 per person.
The homes are:
1224 Taylor St.: Built in 1906 for J. Howard Collier Sr., it was later occupied by J. Arthur Ledbetter who sold it in 1940 to Harry Lee Williams and Margaret Weaver Williams. Extensive changes were made including the digging of a basement for a boiler system. In 1956, John T. Wilbanks purchased the property and additional enhancements were made to the structure. The home now belongs to Stuart and Nan Green, who are descendants of the Williams family.
1218 Fillmore St.: This 1920 two-story, bungalow-style home was originally built as a gift to a young couple by the bride’s father. It has been home to only four families prior to its 2007 purchase and total makeover by Max and Ros Hutchinson. Major renovation including moving staircases and enlarging rooms has made this home inviting.
1301 Fillmore St.: On Feb. 28, 1873, this property was deeded from W.W. Armstrong to Paula Parker Paschall. Originally, the house consisted of two rooms downstairs and two upstairs with a detached kitchen. William T. McPeters, the circuit clerk and later Alcorn County sheriff, purchased the home in 1886 and made additions to the home. It is now occupied by John and Jennifer Shipp.
The weekend will also offer:
A nationally sanctioned Flower Show judged by three out-of-state judges (Inside one of tour homes)
A Greens & Things tent with plants, yard art, bird houses, hanging baskets, etc.
A Sweets & Things tent with homemade breads, cakes, pies, cookies and other sweet treats.
A Fine Art Silent Auction featuring more than 75 pieces of oils, pastels, watercolors, photography and pottery.
All proceeds from the home tours will be donated to the Verandah/Curlee House Preservation Commission.
Originally built in 1857 for city of Corinth co-founder Hamilton Mask, the Verandah-Curlee House served as headquarters for several generals during the Civil War.
The home, which is a designated National Historic Landmark, has serious structural problems, particularly with the roof and foundation.
For more information, visit www.corinthhometour.org or call Bill Avery at (662) 415-1999.

2011 Corinth Home & Garden Tour
– When: April 29-30.

– Cost: $10 per person.

– Info: www.corinthhometour
.org or call (662) 415-1999.