By Sheena Barnett
A few interesting notes from last week’s Coliseum Commission meeting:
- Director Todd Hunt will go to a Pollstar conference soon where he’ll meet with promoters, agents, etc., to get them to the arena. Speaking of Pollstar, the recent story in the Journal about scalping and the BancorpSouth Arena was picked up by Pollstar and used on its website. “It went global in a way I didn’t expect,” hunt said.
- Attendance for the first three and a half months of this fiscal year is at 87,000. This time last year was 72,000, and two years ago it was at 61,000. “We could be on a record pace in terms of attendance,” Hunt said.
- The Arena welcomed more than 14,500 skaters during its public ice skating events, which ended last week.
- MSU Hockey continues to be a success, and both MSU and Ole Miss are in talks to return next year.
- Upcoming events include a cheerleading event this weekend, Jason Aldean’s concert (called the fastest sell-out for the Arena), and Eric Church’ show. That show is “off to a strong start,” Hunt said, and the zip code restriction on internet ticket purchases seems to be working well. On Stubhub, there are over 1,000 tickets per venue for Eric Church’s shows, but only about 150 tickets have been scalped for the show at the Arena.
Look for a very different concert announcement from the Arena coming this Friday.