By Errol Castens
VERONA – Northeast Mississippi Research and Extension Center will host its annual Fall Flower and Vegetable tour on Saturday from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.
Mississippi State University Extension Service horticulture experts will present lectures, be available to answer questions, and provide tours in the flower and vegetable gardens at the facility.
“This is for any gardener who’s interested in fall flowers and vegetables,” said Chickasaw County Extension Agent Scott Cagle.
Planned attractions and events include tours of the center’s rose garden and vegetable gardens, a Master Gardener plant swap and an Answer Booth with Master Gardeners and Extension Horticulture Specialists.
Vendors will offer a variety of gardening tools and accessories along with local specialty foods. A hot-food vendor will provide items for lunch and snacks.
Several lectures are scheduled, including the following:
• 9-9:45 a.m.: Using Native Plants in the Landscape – Sherra Owen, Lee County Master Gardener
• 9:45-10:30 a.m.: Beautiful Plants and Landscape Ideas for Fall – Dr. Lelia Kelly, Extension consumer horticulture specialist
• 10:30-11:15 a.m.: Composting for the Home Garden – Dale Smith, Lee County Master Gardener
• 11:15 a.m. – noon: Low Maintenance Landscapes – Dr. Jeff Wilson, Extension area horticulture agent
• 1-2 p.m.: Gorgeous Perennials/Annuals – Dr. Gary Bachman; Extension ornamental horticulture specialist and host of “Southern Gardening” radio, TV and newspaper features.
“This flower and vegetable tour was dormant for a few years, and we brought it back last year,” Cagle said. “This year we believe it’ll be even better.”
For more information, call Cagle at (662) 456-4269.