By Sheena Barnett
CORINTH – When a widowed grandmother dies after tripping over her married lover’s wooden legs in a seedy motel room, the gossip starts flying in Winters, Texas.
That’s the premise of the Del Shores comedy “Sordid Lives,” which is being staged by Corinth Theatre-Arts this weekend.
It’s not often that theaters in north Mississippi tackle a play as saucy as “Sordid Lives” – there’s plenty of adult language, sexual situations and issues of sexuality. But it’s so funny, said director Cheryl Sproles, that the play with have audiences laughing and gasping at the more shocking scenes.
“In sad times there are a lot of crazy things that happen that everyone can enjoy,” she said. “Del Shores is a Southern writer who captures the unique characters in a dysfunctional family.”
The play is a part of CTA’s Second Stage, meaning it’s for adult audiences. With a busy spring season, the actors have had only four weeks to prepare, but they’ve worked hard, Sproles said.
Lesley Petty, a CTA veteran, is Latrelle in “Sordid Lives.”
“This has gotten us out of our comfort zone,” she said. “It sheds a light on the things people are scared to be a part of.”
Logan Barnes has never played anyone like his character, Earl “Brother Boy” Ingram, a cross-dressing gay man who’s obsessed with Tammy Wynette.
“I’ve used a lot of my improv acting skills,” he said. “These aren’t cartoon characters. We don’t deal with a lot of (these kinds of characters), so this is a treat, really.”
He hopes audiences find a lot of humor and heart in “Sordid Lives.”
“It’s funny. It’s absolutely hilarious,” he said. “If you want real, grown-up entertainment, this is definitely it.”
DIM THE LIGHTS
• What: Corinth Theatre-Arts presents “Sordid Lives”
• When: 8 p.m. tonight-Saturday, 2 p.m. Sunday
• Where: Corinth Theatre-Arts
• Cost: $12/adults, $6/students
• Info: (662) 287-2995
• Extra: “Sordid Lives” is rated R for language and sexual situations.
• “Sordid Lives” cast: Merrie L. Hughes (Bitsy Mae Harling); McCoy Butler (Ty Williamson); Cynthia Potter (Sissy Hickey); Melissa Lambert (Noleta Nethercott); Lesley Petty (Latrelle Williamson); Tresa Condra (La Vonda Dupree); Keith Sikora (G.W. Nethercott); Michael Barnes (Wardell “Bubba” Owens); Matthew Wood (Odell Owens); Linda Dixon (Dr. Eve Bolinger); Logan Ray Barnes (Earl “Brother Boy” Ingram); Richard Ribble (Rev. Barnes); Cindi Bullard (Juanita Barlett)