By NEMS Daily Journal
Step out for health causes
- Northeast Mississippi groups will be walking and running on behalf of three health causes in the next two weeks.
• Walk MS, benefiting the National Multiple Sclerosis Society, will be April 10 at Veterans Park in Tupelo. Contact Angie Jackson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (601) 856-5831.
• Autism Awareness Day will begin at 10 a.m. at Veterans Park. Events include a 5K run/walk, food, music and children’s activities. Organized by the Autism Support Group and the Autism Center of Tupelo. Free admission; some activities will have a cost. Call (662) 832-2039 or (662) 231-3179.
• Great Strides Walk, benefiting the Cystic Fibrosis Foundation, will be 1:30 p.m. April 18 at Lamar Park in Oxford. Contact Mississippi Chapter at (601) 981-3100.
100 reasons to celebrate Saturday
- HealthWorks! Children’s Education Center will celebrate the 100th day of the year Saturday.
Kids of all ages will be able to go an a 100 hunt, see if they can complete 100 jumping jacks and guess at 100 calorie snacks.
The 100 event will be 10:30 to 11:30 a.m. Saturday at the center at the corner of Industrial and Robert E. Lee drives in Tupelo.
Admission to the center is $4 a person; free to members.
Asthma camp offers fun, education
- Children with asthma are invited to participate in Camp Breathe Ezzzze, May 31-June 3, at Tishomingo State Park.
Open to children ages 6-12, Camp Breathe Ezzzze will feature fun activities, as well as educational sessions on asthma and its treatment. The camp is designed to boost self-esteem and nurture friendships among children with asthma. This year’s camp has a “Survivor: The Reality of Fun” theme.
The camp is sponsored by North Mississippi Medical Center with assistance from the American Lung Association of Mississippi, Project Hope and United Way. Around-the-clock care is provided by registered nurses and respiratory therapists. Camp participation is limited, and registration is due by April 15. The fee is $100 per camper, with a $25 nonrefundable deposit. Scholarships are available.
Each parent and child is required to attend an educational session prior to camp. A schedule of available sessions will be provided upon acceptance.
For more information, call (662) 377-4706 or (800) 843-3375. Applications can also be downloaded from the Camp Breathe Ezzzze Web site at www.nmhs.net/camp_breathe_ezzzze.php