By NEMS Daily Journal
Take your pick for good causes
– You can step up or tee off to benefit the health of others in May.
Over the next two weeks, two runs and two golf tournaments are planned as benefits in Northeast Mississippi:
• On May 14, the Run for Relay 5K benefitting the American Cancer Society will be held at 6 p.m. in West Point. The event is sponsored by the Cupcakes for a Cure Relay for Life team. Cost is $15 in advance or $18 on race day. For more information, contact Brenda Johnson at (662) 495-2339 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
• On May 15, the Hopes Steps Forward 5K run/walk will begin at 8 a.m. at the Brewer Community Center in Lee County. The event seeks to raise awareness for primary brain cancer and benefits the NMMC Cancer Patient Assistance Fund. Forms are available at Brewer Grocery, Tupelo Neurology, and Trails and Treads in Tupelo. Call Elise at (662) 844-7021.
• On May 17, the Take a Swing at Cancer benefit golf tournament will be held at Old Waverly Golf Club to benefit the NMMC Cancer Patient Assistance Fund. The four-person scramble has shotgun starts at 8:30 a.m. and 1:30 p.m. Lunch at 11 a.m. for all players. Cost is $250 per player. Call (662) 377-3613 or e-mail email@example.com.
• On May 21, the Rebel Classic Golf Tournament benefiting the Diabetes Foundation of Mississippi will be held at the Country Club of Oxford. Lunch and beverages provide. Call (662) 232-2777 or e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org.
Hog Roasters’ benefit today and Saturday
– The 37th annual Tupelo Hog Roast will be today and Saturday at the VFW Building, 1748 Mitchell Road.
The event will start at 6 tonight, and the menu will include Crawfish, BBQ Chicken, Red Beans and Rice, BBQ Bologna and side items.
Beginning at 11 a.m. Saturday, you’ll be able to purchase Tupelo Hog Roasters Pulled Pork BBQ and sides.
Live bands will perform each day starting at 6 p.m.
A $7 donation will go to support St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital, North Mississippi Medical Center’s Hospice Patient Assistance Fund and the Ronald McDonald House.
For more, call (662) 869-5959, 790-3092 or 869-0670.
Autism Expo set for May 15
– An Autism Expo will be held from 9 to 11 a.m. May 15 at Baptist Memorial Outpatient Rehabilitation clinic in Oxford.
The free event will feature two therapy demonstrations including sensory integration and assistive communication devices. Local pediatric clinics will offer information on growth and developmental milestones. There will also be information on testing process, behavior management techniques and activities for kids.
Call (662) 236-9294 for more information.