Here, from area experts interviewed are more ways to beat the blues:
– Eat a more consistent diet. Don’t skip breakfast and stay away from rich, sugary snacks. Eat foods with iron, whole-grain breads and cereals, and raw fruits and vegetables. Avoid any diet that severely restricts carbohydrates like breads and pasta, which increase energy levels. Cut back on fats and calories instead.
– Change your routine. Try to do something new and interesting every day. If you already do too much, make time for some peace and quiet.
– Lighten up. Try to get an hour of outdoor light every day. Inside, decorate your rooms with light colors. Go out and buy a bright new pillow, rug or poster for the room you spend the most time in.
– Reduce stress levels. Take long walks, do breathing exercises and stretch your muscles often.
– Avoid drugs and alcohol. Limit caffeine intake as well.