HOLLY SPRINGS – The 20th Annual “Christmas in Holly Springs” tour of homes will be Dec. 5 and 6 with five houses decorated in Christmas splendor.
The tour includes The Doxey House, Montrose, Walthall Freeman Clark House, Fairview and Finley House as well as First Presbyterian Church and the Marshall County Historical Museum.
Advance tickets may be purchased for $12 for groups of 10 or more and advance fee of $15 for a single ticket if purchased before Nov. 28. Tickets the week of the tour will be $20 each. To obtain tickets, contact the Marshall County Historical Museum, 220 College Ave., Holly Springs, MS or call 252-3669 or visit www.visithollysprings.com.
There will be a Saturday luncheon at the Kate Freeman Clark Art Gallery (call 252-2838 for reservations) and a Christmas Parade on the Square on Saturday at 5 p.m.
There will also be concerts at 2 p.m. both tour days at the First Presbyterian Church. Saturday, the Gill family will perform and on Sunday the Marshall Academy Patriot Singers will sing.
A dinner theater will be Friday, Saturday and Sunday at the Baptist Building. Call 252-2627 for reservations.
Seven on display
- The Wall Doxey House was built in 1891 by the father of Sen. Wall Doxey and combines many architectural elements, such as the prairie style, as well as federal and antebellum details, such as 12-foot ceilings. This is the first time that this house has been on tour. The house is owned by Meredith and Dickie Gray.
- Montrose was built in 1858 and shows the influence of the Classic Revival. It was built by Alfred Brooks as a wedding present for his daughter. The interior features a circular stairway with a niche for statuary, a parquetry floor and cornices and medallions in the ceilings. Montrose is the home of the Holly Springs Garden Club.
- Walthall Freeman Clark was the home of the late Kate Freeman Clark, well-known artist of Holly Springs. Her family built it in 1848. It was to this house that Kate returned in 1923 after studying art in New York under William Merritt Chase. She then built a studio upstairs with a northern and southern exposure where she could paint. The house is owned by Kate Freeman Clark Trust. It is the home of Bea and Jimmy Dale Green.
- Fairview is located just outside of the town limits in a rural setting. Its owners, Amanda and Kent Smith, both practice law in Holly Springs. Although the home, built in 1999, is brand new by Holly Springs standards, it is classic Mississippi style. Antiques harmonize with modern furnishings throughout the home.
- The Finley House was built during the opulent 1850s in the Greek Revival style, but the inside is Federal design. The designer of the house was Spires Boling, whose famous trademark was the octagonal columns on the front of the house. Originally the front and the back of the house were identical with columns on each side. The late Margaret Shackleford and her sister, Ruth Finley, willed the house to the Audubon Society. Today the residents are Jane and Bubba Hubbard.
- The First Presbyterian Church was built in 1860 in Romanesque Revival style and was not complete when the Civil War began. Federal troops occupied the church during the war and turned the basement into a stable for their horses in 1862. After the war, the North paid for the church’s completion and gave the church the Bohemian windows in compensation.
- The building housing the Marshall County Historical Museum was constructed in 1903 as a dormitory for the Mississippi Synodical College. Thirty-nine years ago, the Marshall County Historical Society founded the museum, consisting of three floors and 22 rooms, containing as many as 80,000 different items. Each room is a different category of history. The museum, open all year, is headquarters for this year’s home tour.
Some information from the Marshall County Historical Museum was used in this report.
Ginna Parsons/NEMS Daily Journal