NEW ALBANY – The Union County Master Gardeners invite everyone who has – or wishes for – a green thumb to the New Albany Home and Garden Show at the Union County Fairgrounds from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. today.
The free event will feature garden- and home-related exhibitions throughout the day, along with vendors’ offerings from bottle trees and bird houses to lawn equipment. Baptist Memorial Hospital’s Relay for Life team will serve fish and chicken plates for lunch to raise money for cancer research and services.
A host of garden experts from across the Mid-South will present workshops on selected topics.
- “Herb Gardening” – Dr. Lelia Kelly, Mississippi State University Extension Horticulturist and director of the state’s Master Gardener program.
- “Vegetable Gardening 101″ – Bill Fisher, Monroe/Lee County Master Gardener.
- “Sustainable Vegetable Gardening” – Carl Wayne Hardeman, Tennessee Master Gardener and editor of “The Bodock Post.”
- “Food Preservation” – Judith Ward, MSU Extension Nutrition Educator.
- “Pruning the Landscape” – Tim Needham, Tippah County Extension director.
- “Maintaining Beautiful Lawns” – Danny Owen, Tishomingo County Extension director.
- “Slow Gardening” – Felder Rushing, author and host of Mississippi Public Broadcasting’s “The Gestalt Gardener.”
- “The Doctor is In” (garden questions) – Dr. Crofton Sloan, MSU researcher and horticulturist.
To reach the Union County Fairgrounds from points east of New Albany, take U.S. Highway 78 to the Munsford Drive exit. Go a short distance northeast to Miss. Highway 178 (Bankhead Street). Turn right; then turn left onto Glenfield Road at the traffic light. The Fairgrounds will be short distance ahead on the right.
For more information, call (662) 316-0088.
Contact Errol Castens at (662) 281-1029 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Errol Castens/Daily Journal