By Errol Castens
OXFORD – Six local agencies will benefit from $14,493 in grants from the Lafayette Oxford Foundation for Tomorrow (LOFT) for Fiscal Year 2013-14.
Grants this year include the following:
• $2,500 for Mimiosprout reading software to the Boys and Girls Clubs of North Mississippi Barksdale Clubhouse, which provides after-school and summer activities, tutoring and other services for school-age children.
• $2,500 for outdoor learn-ing center to Camp Lake Stephens, which provides outdoor, recreational and social activities for children and adults in a Christian context.
• $2,000 for sound equipment to Friends of Thacker Mountain Radio, which supports the live, hour-long, music-and-literature radio variety program hosted weekly in downtown Oxford.
• $2,500 for diabetic prevention, education and management program to Oxford Medical Ministries, which serves the medical needs of the working uninsured.
• $3,993 for Museum Interactive Education Area to the University of Mississippi Museum, which provides programming along with permanent and changing exhibitions that interpret artistic, cultural, scientific and historical values.
• Grants of $500 each for Art for Everyone and Theater Update 2013 to Yoknapatawpha Arts Council, which supports the arts with student programs, exhibits by emerging artists, live theatre productions, concerts, classes, independent film screenings and more.
“LOFT’s endowment fund is working exactly as planned and annually provides grant money that even further improves the wonderful quality of life we are blessed with here in Oxford and Lafayette County,” said board member Walt Davis.
In its 11-year tenure, LOFT has awarded nearly $200,000 to nonprofit organizations. Its permanent endowment ensures that this annual reinvestment through grant awards will continue in perpetuity.
“While we can’t foresee the future, the LOFT endowment ensures funds for our community to meet those needs as they, and our community, change,” said Laura Parkinson, LOFT’s executive director. “A gift to the LOFT endowment truly reaches and enriches all of us now, as well as generations into the future.”