By NEMS Daily Journal
These support groups are set to meet in the next two weeks:
ACTS – Alcohol Chemical Treatment Series – is a curriculum-based self-help, recovery and educational program for anyone wanting to recover from alcohol or drugs, and their families. ACTS meets from 6 to 7 p.m. every Tuesday at Cedar Grove United Pentecostal Church on North Veterans Boulevard, Tupelo. ACTS is free. Call 844-9637.
Alcoholics Anonymous is a fellowship of men and women working to solve their common problem of alcoholism. There are no dues or fees.
• Tupelo: 31 meetings are offered. Call 844-0374 or visit www.aa-mississippi.org for listings.
• There are also meetings in Aberdeen, Ackerman, Amory, Belmont, Booneville, Bruce, Calhoun City, Corinth, Fulton, Holly Springs, Houlka, Houston, New Albany, Oxford, Pontotoc, Starkville and West Point. Call (800) 344-2666.
For a listing of addiction support groups around Northeast Mississippi, call the National Council on Alcohol and Drug Dependency at 841-0403 or check www.msncadd.net.
Addiction help – Narconon, an international organization of treatment centers, drug education and prevention services, provides free consultations from 8 a.m. to 8 p.m. seven days a week for those with drug addictions. Call (800) 556-8885.
Al-Anon is a fellowship of friends and relatives of alcoholics. The group has meetings at several locations:
• Tupelo Serenity Group, 8 p.m. Sundays, Mondays and Thursdays at 613 Pegram Drive. Call 610-5950.
• First Presbyterian Church, Tupelo 8 p.m. Tuesday. Call 844-0374 or (800) 344-2666.
• Fulton Methodist Church noon Thursdays. Call Bob W. (662) 401-8094.
• Peace Seekers Al-Anon Family Group meets at noon Wednesday and Friday at Calvary Baptist Church, Tupelo. Call 401-8094 or (800) 344-2666.
• Solution Seekers – Adult Children of Alcoholics meets at noon Mondays at Calvary Baptist Church fellowship hall, Tupelo. Call Nancy P. at (847) 902-6267.
Arthritis Support Group will meet at 9:15 a.m. the second Monday of the month at Oktibbeha County Hospital Wellness Connection, in Starkville. Call (662) 323-9355.
Alzheimer’s support groups for family members and friends of those with the disease meet in:
• West Point: meets quarterly at NMMC-West Point. Call Brenda Johnson at (662) 495-2339 or (800) 843-3375.
• Tupelo: 6 p.m. the first Tuesday of each month at the Cedars Health Center Activity Room. Call Terri at (662) 844-1441.
An Amputee Support Group meets at noon the first Thursday of the month at Longtown Medical Park, Tupelo. Call (662) 377-7225 or (800) 843-3375.
The Autism Support Group meets 6:30-8:30 p.m. the second Thursday of the month at All Saints Episcopal Church in Tupelo. Childcare provided. Call Melissa Caldwell at (662) 832-2039 or Cheryl Bailey at (662) 315-3388.
AWAKE, a support group for people with sleep apnea and their families, meets quarterly at NMMC. Call (800) 843-3375.
Bariatric Support Group meets at 6 p.m. the first Tuesday of each month in the Magnolia Auditorium at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi, Oxford. Call Becky Wilson at 513-9671.
Cancer Outreach of North Mississippi will meet at 7 p.m. the first Thursday of the month at CREATE in Tupelo. Assisted by the University of Texas M.D. Anderson Cancer Center. Call Patsy Gregory at (662) 401-0715.
Cancer Survivor 101 Support Group for newly diagnosed patients actively undergoing treatment meets at 2 p.m. the second Thursday of the month at the NMMC Cancer Center in Tupelo. Call Cindy Edwards at 377-4049 or (800) 843-3375.
Celebrate Recovery is a Bible-based group open to those struggling with addiction, anger issues, grief, guilt, shame, financial loss, abuse, eating disorders or compulsive behaviors.
• West Jackson Street Baptist Church, Tupelo, meets at 7 p.m. Fridays in the youth building. Contact Neil Naron at 891-1773 or Susan Naron at 871-3872.
• Lee Acres Church of Christ on Lawndale Drive, Tupelo meets at 6 p.m. Tuesdays. Childcare available. Call the church at 844-3111 or Joey Grist at 321-0059.
The Compassionate Friends- West Point, a support group for families who have suffered the death of a child of any age, meets at 6 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month at NMMC-West Point. Parents, step-parents, grandparents and siblings are invited to attend. Information is at www.compassionatefriends.org. Call Michele Rowe at (662) 495-2337.
Diabetes Support Group-Tupelo will meet at 11 a.m. the second Thursday of the month at the NMMC Wellness Center in Tupelo. Sponsored by the NMMC Diabetes Treatment Center. Call (662) 377-2500 or (800) 843-3375.
Diabetes Support Group-Oxford meets at noon the second Thursday of the month in the Magnolia Auditorium at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Lunch available for $3. Call 232-8113.
Diabetes Support Group-Starkville meets at 5:30 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month at Oktibbeha County Hospital educational facility. Call Nicky Yeatman at 615-2668.
Diabetes Support Group-West Point meets quarterly at NMMC-West Point. Remaining 2011 meetings: 6 p.m. Sept. 13 and Dec. 13. Contact Ginger Carver at (662) 495-2213.
The Disability Support Group meets at 2 p.m. the second Tuesday of the month at LIFE office, Cliff Gookin Boulevard, Tupelo. People with all kinds of physical and mental disabilities are welcome. Call Michael Sullivan at (662) 844-6633.
A Domestic Violence Support Group meets at 6 p.m. every Thursday. Call (800) 527-7233 for location. Child care is provided.
FACE IT food allergy support group meets the first Friday and third Monday of the month. Focused on parents of children with food allergies, but open to others with medical conditions that require food avoidance. Contact Amelia at (662) 322-7434 or email@example.com for locations and times.
Gamblers Anonymous, a 12-step recovery support group for people with a gambling problem, meets at 6 p.m. every Monday at Lee Acres Church of Christ on Lawndale Drive in Tupelo. Call 316-2219.
Grief Support Groups in Oxford meets at 6 p.m. the second Tuesday and the fourth Wednesday of the month at Azalea Gardens in Oxford. Sponsored by North Mississippi Hospice of Oxford. Call Tracy Morgan at (662) 234-0140.
Grief Support Group sponsored by Amedisys Hospice meets at 1 p.m. the second Wednesday of the month at the New Albany First United Methodist Church. Call Danny Rushing or Amanda Tennison at Amedisys Hospice at (662) 620-1050.
Life Support, a group for those overwhelmed by life, especially those affected by addiction, meets at 5:30 p.m. Wednesdays at Lee Acres Church of Christ. Aug. 12 meeting will feature Authors Bob and Kristi Armstrong. Call (662) 844-3111 or visit www.leeacreschurch.org
I Can Cope cancer support group meets at noon the second Friday of the month at Bridgepoint on South Gloster Street. Guest speakers. Lunch provided for cancer survivors and caregivers. Sponsored by the American Cancer Society. Call coordinator Donna Kingsley at (662) 213-8478.
La Leche League of Lee County offers breastfeeding support to moms. The group meets at 11 a.m. the first Monday of the month at NMMC Women’s Hospital, Classroom C. All pregnant and breastfeeding mothers are invited to attend. Call Toni Hill at (662) 255-8283 or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Mended Hearts a support group for people who have had heart-bypass surgery, heart disease or other physical ailments of the heart, meets at:
• Corinth – 6 p.m. the second Monday of the month in the basement conference center at Magnolia Regional Health Center in Corinth. Contact Wayne Taylor at 663-0116 or Barbara Williams at 293-1086.
• Oxford – Noon the second Wednesday of the month at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Call Riley McMinn at 232-8166.
Man-to-Man support group for prostate cancer meets at 6 p.m. the first Tuesday of the month at NMMC East Tower first floor Diabetes Treatment Center classroom. The group will not meet in July. Contact Gail Denton at (662) 377-3522 or (800) 843-3375.
Mental Health Family Support Group will meet at 10 a.m. the second and fourth Saturday of the month at North Mississippi RC on Highway 7 in Oxford. The group is designed for family members of people with serious mental illness. Call (800) 357-0388 or visit www.nami.org.
Mississippi Council of the Blind of North Mississippi meets at 10 a.m. the first Saturday of each month The organization is open to the blind or visually impaired, and sighted people. Call Tammy Cantrell at (662) 620-7677.
Multiple Sclerosis Support Group will meet at 6:30 p.m. the second Thursday of the month at the NMMC Wellness Center in Tupelo. Contact Allison Holloway at (662) 231-5829, Karan Woods at (662) 231-9160 or (800) 843-3375.
NAMI Connection, a weekly recovery group for people living with mental illness, meets Sundays at 3:30 p.m. at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi in Oxford. Call (800) 357-0388 or visit www.nami.org.
Narcotics Anonymous, a community-based association of recovering drug addicts, meets in Tupelo.
• Tupelo group meets at the Salvation Army on Carnation Street at 6 p.m. Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays, 7:30 p.m. Tuesdays and Thursdays, noon and 7:30 p.m. Saturdays and 1 p.m. and 6 p.m. Sundays.
• Solutions group, meets at 314 South Church St., 6 p.m. Mondays and Thursdays, 8 p.m. Tuesdays and 7 p.m. Saturday.
• Groups also meet in Ackerman, Amory, Booneville, Bruce, Corinth, Ecru, New Albany, Oxford, Ripley and Starkville. Call (662) 841-9998 or toll-free (866) 841-9998 for more information.
New Moms Support Group meets at 10:30 a.m. Fridays at the Breast Feeding Resource Center at Baptist Memorial Hospital-North Mississippi. Open to all new moms. Call (662) 513-1602.
The North MS Pediatric Cancer Support Group (PECANS) meets at 6 p.m. the second and fourth Tuesdays of the month. Call Teresa Farris at 791-1228 for meeting location.
Parkinson’s Disease Support Group meets at 3 p.m. the first Sunday of the month at NMMC Wellness Center in Tupelo. Contact Ginger Gore or Amanda Allen at (662) 377-3729.
Sisters Network, Tupelo chapter of the African-American breast cancer survivor’s support group, meets at 5:30 p.m. the first Monday of the month at the Link Centre in Tupelo. Call Norma Derring at 842-3440.
A Sexual Addiction Support Group meets in Tupelo. Call 841-0403.
A Sexual Assault Support Group meets at 11 a.m. every Wednesday. Call (800) 527-7233 for location.
TOPS, a weight loss support group, has two chapters meeting in Northeast Mississippi. Fees are $24 for annual membership; $12 for spouses and teens. Call (800) 932-8677 or visit www.tops.org.
• In Tupelo: 5:30 p.m. Thursdays at Salvation Army Building at 527 Carnation St. Call Janice Roach at (662) 871-8653.
• In Aberdeen: 5 p.m. Tuesdays at Southside Baptist Church on Meridian Street. Call Janet Luker, 369-6836 or 369-1878, Grace Guin, 369-4431 or Pat Harris, 327-7152.
Weight Loss Support Group will meet at 6 p.m. the first Thursday of the month at NMMC Wellness Center in Tupelo. The group provides education and emotional support for those considering or have gone through bariatric surgery. Contact registered nurse Cherri Cox at 377-7546 or (866) 908-9465.
n Women with Cancer support group, sponsored by the Women First Resource Center, meets at noon the second Tuesday of the month in Amory. Call (662) 325-0721.